Chapter 71: The Unexpected Prize

Start from the beginning

"Mmm....How are you feeling?" Kakashi asked and I sat there in silence for a minute.

"Better. It's been a long time since....he passed....and all of the others. But I'm getting better. I feel happier and spending time with everyone has helped a lot over these years," I told him.

"I'm glad," he replied and gave me a closed eyed smile.

"How about you?" I asked in return, curiously.

"I've been....as usual. I'm still saddened but working in the anbu leaves little time to think about it," he mentioned.

"Do you enjoy being in the anbu?" I asked worriedly.

"It's not terrible and I feel useful and helpful serving under Lord Third," Kakashi replied. "There's nothing to be worried about."

I nodded and then heard someone knock at the door.

"Coming!" I called and went to answer it, Kakashi following behind since he was going to leave.

I opened the door and there stood the green beast of Konoha.

"Oh! My eternal rival!" Gai spoke excitedly. "Got some extra time to do a contest Kakashi?"

"I have a report to give, so I'll pass," Kakashi responded.

"I see. Another time then!" Gai replied with his classic smile.

I chuckled and then hugged Kakashi.

"Be safe and see you later," I told him before pulling away.

He nodded and then took off. Gai then looked to me, a determined look on his face.

"Are you ready for some more training?" Gai questioned.

"Of course!" I replied and we took off to the training grounds.

We did our usual exercises and then went to spar.

"Let's go straight into it, all out," Gai suggested.

"You sure?" I asked curiously. "What are the rules this time?"

"First person to be knocked over loses. So not just a simple hit will do," Gai responded. "You're allowed weapons. This will be a mostly taijutsu based fight, but if you feel the need I'll allow some jutsu."

"How kind," I teased and he huffed. "Do you wanna add stakes?"

"Stakes......Sure thing!" Gai responded, smiling. "It'll drive our youthfulness more!!"

"Alright. Mmmm. If I win, you have to treat me to dango for a whole month," I replied. "And I won't complain about you paying."

"Seems fair," Gai replied and then rested his hand on his chin, lightly rubbing it as he was deep in thought now. He decided to be bold. "If I win, I would like a kiss!"

My eyes widened at such a request and my face turned red.

"Huh?!" I spoke shocked.

"That is all I wish for dear Kira. Now let us spar!" He declared.

My brain was a bit fuzzy right now with such a request having shocked me to the core. Does he know about my crush on him?? Is he teasing me? Why would he ask this?

"Kira? You ready?" Gai asked worriedly.

"Uh...Y-yeah! I'm ready," I finally replied and then did a hand sign, using water jutsu to create my sword.

"Let's begin!" He responded.

He suddenly pulled out his nunchucks and raced towards me. I braced myself as he swung his weapon at me. I slashed my sword at it, blocking the attack and going for another slash towards him. He blocked it and I huffed. I kept up my attacks, left and right but he kept blocking it.