Chapter 69: It's Not What It Looks Like

Start from the beginning

I began to make enough food for four of us, since Kakashi and Gai were over. I finished cooking and began to divide the portions onto plates.

"Breakfast is ready!" I called out to everyone.

Naruto raced out immediately. He ran over, hugging my side before stealing a plate and sitting down at the table. I smiled in amusement and went to sit down as well. Eventually the two men walked out of my room. I glanced over and then saw Kakashi making a beeline for the door.

"I thought that since you're here, you could have breakfast with us," I suggested as I stood up.

"Sorry I can't," Kakashi responded. "My team and I have a mission, so Gai will be in charge of watching over you for awhile."

Gai gave a thumbs up and Naruto glanced at him a bit weirded out.

"I'll see you out then," I said and walked with him to the door.

Once at the door, Kakashi pulled me in an embrace and I hugged him back.

"Yamato gave me a report of what all happened last night," he murmured sadly and my body stiffened. "If Gai hadn't showed up he would've stepped in. Are you feeling okay right now?"

I nodded my head.

"I'm feeling better. Gai helped me realize some things..." I responded. "I'm sorry....My actions were....I wasn't thinking clearly."

"It's okay. It happens to the best of us. I'm just glad you're here," Kakashi replied and set his chin on the top of my head. "Don't be afraid to talk to me. I don't know what I would do if I lost my sister."

I wasn't going to cry, but Kakashi was making it really difficult right now.

"I'll be more open now..." I told him honestly.

We pulled away from each other and waved goodbye as he headed out of the apartment. I walked back to the kitchen and I stared in disappointment when I saw a mess of food all over the table. I looked at Gai and Naruto who seemed very guilty. Naruto immediately pointed at Daiko, who was asleep on the floor and I narrowed my eyes. I looked at Gai and he became really nervous.

"What happened," I questioned as I put my hands on my hips.

"Well uh..." Gai spoke.

"Intense eyebrow guy made the mess and tried to steal your food," Naruto blamed.

"No! I was trying to stop you from eating the rest of the food after you finished yours!" Gai declared.

"Liar!" Naruto replied.

"Enough!" I yelled, my eyes flashing red and they immediately shut their mouths. "You both will clean this up, now."

"Yes sis..."
"Yes Kira."

I stood to the side as I watched them clean up the breakfast table, making sure Naruto wouldn't slack off. I was bit sad I didn't get to finish my breakfast. I looked through the pantry and fridge, realizing we didn't have a lot left.

"I need to the grocery store," I announced. "Naruto. You're grounded so no leaving the apartment for a week."

"What?! No fair...." he whined. "You're not even my mom!"

Those words stung a bit, my gaze saddening a bit. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before I spoke again.

"I'll be leaving now. You coming Gai?" I asked as I began to walk to the door.

"Uh, yeah," Gai replied awkwardly.

I put on my sandals and walked out the door. Once outside my apartment, a few tears began to trickle from eyes.