Chapter 277:

There's a moment I've noticed in the OR, especially when a patient is going south. You're working so hard, you lose yourself. All of your problems. Your relationships. Career goals. Your fears. They all just fade away. It's not even you and your patient. It's you and yourself. Your hands. Your skill. You might call it muscle memory... or being in the zone. But whatever you call it, it's rare... and you never want it to end.

3rd Person POV:

We see all the doctors gathered in the ambulance bay for another COVID patient discharge. Owen looks over at Teddy.

Owen: you okay?
Teddy: that should be Meredith. And Lilah.

Teddy walks off.

-later-

We see Leon and Carlson in Delilah's room with Scotty.

Leon: Lilah's vitals have been stable for days. Her x-rays have shown a remarkable improvement, and her oxygen requirements have gone down.
Scotty: which is why she should be awake for more than two minutes at a time. Why isn't she? What is this?
Reggie: her labs showed elevated liver enzymes.
Leon: it might just be a side effect from the medications, but we do want to order some new tests.
Reggie: we we'd also like to get CTs, both chest and abdominal.
Leon: it might seem extensive, but—
Scotty: no. Do it. You guys have been seeing more and more patients like this. They look like they're out of the woods, but then a new problem arises and they just... they just crash. We can't let this happen to our girl. I can't let this happen to my best friend. She's been my ride or die since we were two years old. I'm not going to let her die on me. You guys need to figure this out.

Scotty walks out of the room, praying his best friend wakes up.

Meanwhile in Meredith's unconscious state, we see Meredith and Derek sitting together.

Meredith: were you in pain?
Derek: you know, the worst part was knowing they were getting it wrong. I didn't want to leave you, or Lilah, but I knew, you know, at a certain point...
Meredith: I came to the hospital. Elle did too.
Derek: I know.
Meredith: you could hear?
Derek: not through my ears. Dying is exhausting. You know that point as a surgeon... you've done everything for your patient.

Meredith nods in agreement.

Derek: I could try and will them to fight, will them to live, but I never understood the level of exhaustion. There comes a point... where the desire to rest overrides the desire to live. You got that. You gave me permission to go. You told me it was okay. You told me you would take care of Lilah for me, that she would be safe with you, that you would protect her for me. You got me. You have me everything I needed until my last breath.

Meanwhile in Delilah's unconscious state, we see Delilah and George sitting closely together in the sand.

Delilah: I want you closer.
George: you're worried about everyone. Your husband, your kids, Mer, your siblings, your friends, everyone. If you get closer...
Delilah: I'll never leave.
George: I think that the theory Lily pie.
Delilah: but... I love you. I want to be here with you.
George: I know. But... it's not your time yet Lily pie.
Delilah: your death nearly ruined me.
George: I know Elle.
Delilah: I'm so tired Georgie.
George: I know sweetheart. People love you Elle. They need you. Do you not see how true that is?
Delilah: but I...
George: I know. You're tired. Your body is tired. But your soul– it won't even let you near me. You're still fighting Elle bell.
Delilah: have you seen the last... one or two years?
George: yeah. It's been killing me seeing you fight with depression.
Delilah: anxiety and PTSD too.
George: yeah.
Delilah: has it hard for you?
George: it kills me every day seeing go through it alone.