Chapter 248:

I was only one week into maternity leave and I was going absolutely insane! So, even though I probably sound and look like a terrible mother, I decided to cut my maternity leave short and get back to work.

The night that I had my baby, a trauma came in and Jackson has been working with Amy, Link, Nico and Dylan on the case, so I decided to hop on it.

Jackson: you're supposed to be on maternity leave!
Delilah: I know. And even though I love my children, I really love surgery so let me have this. I just had your kid, let me have this.

Jackson glares at me as Amy comes around.

Amy: did you just pull the "I just had your kid" card?
Delilah: damn straight I did, and I'm gonna play that card for as long as I can.
Amy: of course you are.
Jackson: you can overlook the case, but you're not operating. Miller hasn't cleared you and neither has Bailey, so you won't operate until you have been cleared. Understand?
Delilah: okay dad.

Amy and I share a laugh.

Jackson: I'm being serious Lilah. I don't want you hurting yourself. Your C-section scar is still healing, and I don't want it tearing.
Delilah: I understand.
Jackson: thank you.

We walk into the room and I ignore everyone's shocked looks when I enter the room. I introduce myself to the patients then we examine.

Link: and we're good to go.
Jai: he wanted to cut off my leg.
Link: I didn't want to, I suggested that it was the safest course of action.
Jai: but then you were wrong.
Link: but then I was a miracle worker.
Mari: after he begged you and cried.
Jai: you love me because I'm a sensitive guy.

We all laugh at the couple.

Link: alright, can we let our interns do their job now please?
Jackson: Qadri?
Qadri: Mari Prishna, 34, seven days post-op after she was a warrior goddess and saved her husband's life.
Mari: Dr. Hudson was the warrior. He saved Jai. I mean, if he hadn't come along—
Dylan: no Mari, you caught the rope, and you held it for hours on a broken, shredded arm. You saved his life.
Qadri: we did a debridement of her wound and then put in a right humeral plate. So, today will be her brachial plexus surgery for definitive nerve repair.

-later-

I'm with Miller getting another check-up on my C-section scar.

Miller: any numbness at all? Tingling, stomach pain?
Delilah: nope, I feel good. Now you can clear me so I can get cleared by Bailey then I can jump into surgery.
Miller: ha ha, nice try kiddo. You just gave birth a week ago. You need to heal.
Delilah: but daaaad!!
Miller: you need to heal missy, so no surgery for a while.

Miller chuckles at me as I pout at him.

Miller: put away the face.
Delilah: no!
Miller: geez, you're just as stubborn as my second youngest kid, and she's 15.
Delilah: I love my babies more than anything, I swear on my life Miller.
Miller: I know you do honey. And you love surgery, and I completely get that. But you need to heal so that you can be a surgeon and a mom.
Delilah: I know. It's just, Jackson is in surgery right now repairing a brachial plexus with Amy, Link and Dylan and I would give anything to be in that surgery right now.
Miller: you'll get there boo. You just have to heal.

I continue to go through my exam with Miller.

-time skip-

I just finished another check-up with Miller and I was passing Mari and Jai's room when I hear Mari's panicked voice.

Mari: help! Somebody help my husband! Help! Help!