Chapter 203:

Mer picked me up for work today so I'm in the car with her and Alex as Mer explains everything that happened with Riggs. She's planning on finally telling Maggie and she was telling us how she was gonna tell her.

Meredith: and in the end, what really matters is that we care about each other, and that will never change. How's that sound?
A&D: forced.
Meredith: well, it sounds forced because I'm a horrible person.
Alex: you could use the plane. Near-death experience– that's a good excuse.

I whack Alex at the back of his head. It's moments like this when I question why I choose to be best friends with him.

Meredith: lie? Your advice to me is to lie?
Delilah: what else do you expect from him Mer? It's Alex, of course his advice to you is to lie. He's Evil Spawn.
Alex: hey!

I chuckle as I kiss Alex on the cheek.

Alex: look, planes have taken a lot from you. When have they ever given you something good?
M&D: gave us a hospital.

Mer and I share a fist bump.

Delilah: okay look, this happened before you even knew Maggie liked him. Right Mer?
Meredith: exactly! But then it happened again. I just– I don't know. I-I don't even know how it got this far.
Alex: well, he lost his wife, you lost your husband. Look, if you don't want to lie, just be vague. No details. She's an adult. She can take it. Less is more.
Delilah: Ally's right.
Meredith: what if she hates me?
A&D: she's not gonna hate you.

We continue to drive to the hospital and once we get there, Alex and I follow Mer into the bathroom and we watch her go over her speech to Maggie.

Meredith: and I called it off, and I kept it off until I couldn't anymore, and I'm really, very sorry.
Alex: that's the one.
Delilah: yep, that's the ticket.

The door opens and I see Maggie walk in.

Maggie: I have been looking everywhere for you. You're in the ladies' room.
Alex: so?
Maggie: show me your teeth.

Mer opens her mouth to show her teeth and I look at them confused.

Maggie: all clear. Okay, so, this is the shirt you like. I brought it because I knew you would forget it.
Meredith: thank you.
Maggie: you're nervous. Yeah. It's a big crowd, bright lights, but you're gonna be great. And, um, I'll be there, so if you get nervous, you just look at me. You just talk to me, okay?

Alex and I both look at Mer and point at Maggie with our eyes, indicating to her that she should just tell her now.

Meredith: okay.
Maggie: you got this.
Meredith: thanks.

I smile at Maggie as she walks out of the bathroom.

Alex: you're right– she might hate you.

I whack Alex at the back of his head.

Meredith: you ready for this?
Delilah: I guess so.

Today, Mer and I are having a public press conference to speak about the plane. To say I was nervous was an understatement.

-conference-

I'm standing with Jackson and Dylan as I wait to speak.

Dylan: you've got this. This is all you.
Delilah: all me. Yeah, no pressure or anything.
Jackson: babygirl, you've got this.
Dylan: you're gonna do great sis.
Delilah: what if I say something really stupid?
Dylan: you won't.
Jackson: if you get nervous, just look right at me. Okay? Look at me.