Chapter 279:

In some residency programs, graduating surgeons get a wooden chair, emblazoned with the emblem of their program. When those residents become Attendings, the chair usually goes in their office, where it collects dust for the rest of their careers. You give your program years of your life– your sweat, your tears, and in my case at least, your blood, and your program gives you a chair. I suppose it's a nice tradition, if you're into that sort of thing.

My POV:

I was doing my breathing test with Leon and Carlson, with Scotty and Jackson in the room.

Leon: okay. Relax, and come off the mouthpiece.

I watch anxiously as Leon, Scotty and Jackson look over the labs. After a few seconds, they look at me.

Delilah: okay, don't just stare at me like that, you're giving me anxiety. Did I pass?
Leon: not only did you pass, but your lung capacity is 50% greater than we expected.
Reggie: and your sats are consistently in the high 90s.
Leon: you killed it Elle.
Scotty: you crushed it boo. I'm so proud of you.
Leon: so as long as your labs check out, we're kicking you out.

I share a knowing look with Jackson. They don't know that I'm leaving for Boston once my isolation is over, and it's going to break my heart to tell them.

Scotty: are you happy?
Delilah: I am.
Leon: I am going to have this framed.
Reggie: you better share that with me! I want it framed too.
Scotty: me too!

I chuckle at the boys as they look at the computer. I look at Dylan who was smiling at me through the window outside of my room and I give him a big thumbs up. After my labs were ran over, I get out of the big compartment and everyone except for Jackson and Scotty leave.

Scotty: how are the kids?
Jackson: they're on cloud nine that their momma is finally awake. And I am too, because I have my wife back for good.

I smile as Jackson kisses my forehead.

Jackson: hey, uh, I have to... do our thing with Dylan.
Delilah: yeah, you go. You have mine with you, right?
Jackson: mhmm. I'll see you after.

Jackson kisses my forehead then walks out of the room and walks off with Dylan to talk to Richard and Bailey.

Scotty: what thing?
Delilah: listen, I need to tell you something important.
Scotty: oh boy. I'm scared.
Delilah: just close the door, sit down, and let me talk.

Scotty closes the door and sits down next to me.

Jackson's POV:

Dylan and I have just finished explaining everything to Bailey and Richard.

Bailey: so, you and your wife are going to fulfill this new leadership position from Boston?
Jackson: we are.
Bailey: and you're taking a new position in Boston?
Dylan: I am. I'm going to have my own pediatric practice at Mass Gen.

Dylan came with me to Boston to meet Robert, but he ended up running into a buddy of ours from medical school who had his own practice at Mass Gen, but was resigning and wanted to recommend him, so Dylan took it.

Bailey: not here, in Seattle, where you work? For me.

I sigh as I hand Lilah and I'd resignation letters to Bailey.

Jackson: my official resignation, as well as Lilah's.
Dylan: and this is mine.
Jackson: Elle obviously has to stay here until her isolation is over, but I will only stay a couple days to be with her then I will be on the first flight out.
Dylan: yeah, I have to leave first thing in the morning. They want me to start right away.
Bailey: what?
Jackson: Bailey, we know it's sudden and we apologize. It's just– Lilah and I, we have a good thing with this. And with Dylan, he has a chance at an opportunity of a lifetime. I mean, this has been his dream since he was a kid.
Dylan: it's true Bailey.
Jackson: and the work Lilah and I are gonna be able to do, the changes we'll be able to enact from the foundation– it's gonna be really great for all of us.