Chapter 273:

This job isn't easy. The sheer amount of pressure and loss that we square off against every day... can leave you exhausted... or helpless. You're going to need to find an outlet for the stress. Maybe it's physical... maybe it's emotional... maybe it's family... but trust me, you're not going to survive residency unless you have a happy place... somewhere that you can just escape it all.

3rd Person POV:

We see Jackson working out, releasing all his anger. He's angry about everything. He's angry about the virus, he's angry that it's killing patients every day, and he's angry... that his wife had to be put on a vent.

He wanted to her to be okay. He wanted to hear her beautiful voice, see her gorgeous smile, hear her infectious laugh... he wanted to hear her. He needed her.

Meanwhile at Meredith's house, we see Amelia trying to get a hold of Maggie.

Amelia: Maggie, I don't know if you are asleep or if you are ignoring me or the world entirely, but call.

Link walks outside as Amelia hangs up the phone.

Link: still nothing?
Amelia: uh, she could be passed out on the floor from COVID, and no one would know. Or– or she could be hit by a car on the I-94 on the way to Wyoming.
Link: what's in Wyoming?
Amelia: I don't know. But one sister's on a vent and the other one is missing, not to mention my niece is also on a vent, and the last time a sibling was missing, he was dying on the side of the road, so—
Zola: is my mommy and sister gonna die?

Amelia turns around to see Zola at the door with a terrified look on her face.

Amelia: uh...
Zola: it's okay. You can tell me.

Amelia looks at Link then back at Zola.

Amelia: come on Zo. Let's go inside.

Amelia leads Zola back into the house.

Meanwhile on the beach, we see Delilah walking along the beach with her eyes closed, enjoying the breeze in her face. She takes a moment to stop and look out towards the ocean.

Joey: you're a little early to the party sis.

Delilah's heart stops for a moment when she hears the familiar voice. She turns her head and she sees... her baby brother.

Delilah: Joey.
Joey: hey big sis.

Delilah slowly approaches her little brother with tears of joy in her eyes.

Meanwhile in the real world, we see Teddy enter Tom Koracick's room.

Tom: hi.

Teddy doesn't respond.

Tom: what, no gifts? At the very least, some crosswords, peanut butter cookies, contraband porn?

Teddy doesn't respond.

Tom: kidding. I'd trade all that for good conversation.

No response again.

Tom: okay, if this is about the nurses, they need to calm down. We have COVID. It was no biggie.
Teddy: what are you talking about?
Tom: I went to see Grey and Avery-Shepherd. I needed to see some living scenery. You would've loved it– each time, the two of us under blankets, it was like "On COVID Pond".
Teddy: it's not funny.
Tom: it's a little funny.
Teddy: we intubated Meredith, Tom. Delilah too.

Tom scoffs. He was finally happy to see Delilah awake and kicking it. He wanted this to be a joke.

Tom: you know, if you ever find yourself thinking about cheering up kids in the cancer ward, don't.
Teddy: sorry. I'm sorry. I-I just... I just needed to be in a room with someone who doesn't hate me.