Chapter 235:

Mom's recovery has been tough, but I've been trying to help her out to the best of my ability. I've been shortening my hours so I can take care of mom at home. With mom recovering, my anxiety has gotten better.

It's Christmas Eve and Jackson and I brought the kids to mom's house and we're eating dinner with Richard, Melissa, Dylan and Maggie. I also brought Joey with me because things have been a bit rough at home for him. Thankfully, mom didn't mind.

Maggie: anybody want to play cards? I play a mean Gin Rummy.
Dylan: oh, you don't want to do that unless you want to lose. Jackson and Lilah are the masters of Gin Rummy. I can't tell you how many times I've lost to her.

Jackson, Dylan and I share a laugh.

Mom: I'm sorry kids. I'm just exhausted. Would I be a party pooper if I just went to bed?
Delilah: not at all mom. Get some rest.
Mom: okay. I'm sorry. Couldn't even chase the kids around that tree this morning.

I stand up and help mom out.

Mom: thank you so much for taking care of Christmas dinner. I've just been no help at all.
Jackson: we have Christmas dinner catered every year mom. There's no reason to change that.
Mom: Merry Christmas baby. Lilah, my dear.
Delilah: Merry Christmas mom.
Webber: can I help you upstairs?
Mom: oh, no, no. No, I can make it to my bed on my own.

I watch as mom slowly walks up the stairs.

Webber: she doesn't let me help her do anything.
Maggie: she'll get there.
Webber: I hope so.

-time skip-

I walk alongside Mer and others into Natasha's room, a patient who has woken up from a month long coma.

Garrett: thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm saying it a lot for the both of us.
Meredith: Schmitt?
Levi: Natasha Deon, 45, hospital day 35. Neuro– she regained consciousness overnight. She is now A&O times three. Cardio and pulmonary– she's on a vent and has an open thoracostomy for empyema drainage. MSK– spine was cleared, and her pelvis was fixed internally.
Garrett: when will she be able to talk?
Jo: we're working on decreasing her vent settings first.
Meredith: we also have to get her nutrition up. She's weak and has been through quite a lot.
Maggie: we can close the thoracotomy today though, since her lungs are doing so much better.
Link: Natasha, we need you to get strong for us. I'm gonna get you up and out of that bed soon, okay?
Meredith: let's make sure the respiratory therapist brings that peep down to 5. Welcome back Natasha.
Amy: you may get that planetarium wedding yet.
Garrett: at this point, I'd settle for a courthouse.

We all walk out of the room.

-time skip-

It's New Year's Eve and I'm currently at Alex and Jo's New Year's Eve party with Jackson while Scotty was babysitting the kids with his new girlfriend. Mer told me she would be here, but I couldn't find her so I shoot her a text.

Me: where are you? I thought you were coming.

Mer Bear 🧸💕: Natasha is using the speaking valve for the first time, so I wanted to stay at the hospital. Have fun, happy new year ❤️ love u 😘 I'll probably send you some cheesy text at midnight 😋

Me: haha, looking forward to it 😋 love you more Mer bear ❤️

I look over at Jackson who looked dozed off.