Chapter 220:

My babysitter ended up coming down with the flu so I had no choice but to take the kids to work. Jackson went to work early this morning, so I asked Mer if I could carpool with her.

We're passing by the coffee cart when I see Arizona with Carina and I also see Scotty buying coffee.

Arizona: hey! Look. It's family day!
Meredith: it's "nanny has the flu" day and "three kids is so many kids" day!
Delilah: same.
Carina: you want coffee? I have no kids, thank God.
Meredith: bless you!
Scotty: take my coffee. I don't have any kids either, and you look like you're going to collapse.
Delilah: what would I be without you?
Scotty: dead.
Delilah: true.

I take the coffee and walk along with Mer. Once I got my kids to the daycare, I walk with Mer to Ollie's room. Ollie is Richard's sponsor from AA who is in liver failure. Richard has been taking it really hard since she was like family to him.

Meredith: he's been in there for days. Has he slept?
Amy: he sleeps. In the chair.
Maggie: how worried should we be, like on a scale from one to super worried?
Amy: I think he's okay. I think... I think he'll be okay. I'm not so sure about Alex.
Delilah: no progress on Kimmie?
Amy: I found a doctor in Chicago who's doing a similar kind of ultrasound research. Uh... she hasn't published much yet, but I'm hoping she's further along than I am.
Maggie: text me if anything changes.

Maggie walks off and then Amy walks off in the opposite direction. Then, Jo comes around with the interns.

Meredith: woah. Where are you going?
Jo: rounds.
Delilah: skip this one.
Jo: uh, I really can't.
Meredith: no, you can. Because Ollie is dying, and Richard doesn't need to hear you say it again.
Jo: there are protocols. When you break them, you're Meredith Grey. When I break them, I get a write-up.
Meredith: okay, fine. Just do it out here.
Jo: okay. Roy?
Roy: but I need to see the patient's latest vitals, in the room—
Meredith: be creative. Qadri?
Quadri: uh... that's– right– that's Molly...?
Bello: Ollie. Olive Warner. She's 66. End-stage liver failure and cardiomyopathy. Surgical protocols were rejected in favor of end-of-life support.
Meredith: excellent Bello. Move along.

Jo and the interns leave and I walk off to the ER.

-later-

I'm working on some files and I see Mer and Bailey talking up front.

Meredith: you know, I have research to do.
Bailey: look, I am your Chief, and I made you my right hand for a reason. So you can cover my service for one day while I get caught up on my TrailBlazer.
Meredith: you know everybody's calling it the TailBlazer, right?

I chuckle at Mer as I finish off my files. I look up and I see a man in a dark blue jacket approach Bailey and Mer.

Agent Fields: excuse me. Are you Chief Bailey?
Bailey: I am.
Agent Fields: hey, how you doing this morning Dr. Bailey? I'm Agent Martin Fields. I... I need to speak to one of your surgeons.
Bailey: uh, Agent Fields? I'm sorry. Are you FBI? Or...
Agent Fields: oh no ma'am. I'm with Immigration and Customer Enforcement. Yeah, it says here it's a surgical intern.

Just then, I see Jo walk down the stairs with the interns. I look at Roy, Qadri and Bello and my hearts starts pounding with anxiety.

M,B&D: which one?

When Agent Fields tells us that he's looking for Bello, Mer and I subtly walk away and we pull Bello away from the other interns and into an exam room.

Bello: okay, if this is about Mr. Bartlett's ventilator, I barely bumped it, and the plug was never technically all the way out of the socket—
M&D: it's not that.
Bello: good, because I think it was already loose. If anything, I saved him—
Meredith: we don't have a lot of time, but we need you to pay attention, and we need you to stay calm.