Chapter 193:

I'm at Mer's house and I'm sitting on the couch with Maggie and Mer trying to find out info on Alex's trial.

Maggie: so, this website's saying that we need a case record number. The other one said that I needed his arrest-record number. Are those the same thing?
Meredith: I don't know.

I was scrolling through all my emails trying to find anything useful that could help find anything on Alex.

Maggie: ugh. Did you find it?
Meredith: I have nothing.
Maggie: Lilah?
Delilah: I'm looking Mags.
Maggie: well, I can't get any information about his case without that number.
Delilah: I know Alex sent me an email one time with an arraignment number on it...
Maggie: try the search box.
Delilah: I'm searching.

I keep scrolling through my emails.

Maggie: oh, maybe this. Okay, "locate the current defendant using his..." yeah, no, still need the number.

I click on one of the emails and it was the right one I needed.

Delilah: found it! You ready?
Maggie: yes.
Delilah: RDH4467A239.
Maggie: there it is– there's his case.

Mer and I sit next to Maggie and stare at the laptop. My heart sinks into my stomach when I see the sentence.

Delilah: 30 years... to life.
Maggie: he's gonna die in prison.

I start hyperventilating and I try my best to control my breathing, but the thought of my best friend dying in prison was killing me.

Meredith: wait. That's not even his case!

I manage to calm down and I look at where Mer was pointing on the screen and I immediately calm down when I see that it was the wrong file.

Delilah: oh my god.

I whack Maggie on the arm as hard as humanly possible.

Maggie: oww!
Delilah: you almost sent me into an anxiety attack.
Meredith: Lilah said A, not 8.
Delilah: let me do it.

I snatch the laptop from Maggie and type the number in.

Delilah: okay, I got it.
Meredith: criminal case, blah, blah, blah... disposition—
Maggie: deposition. That's good. That means he's giving testimony. So that means that he's in court, and he didn't take the plea, and he's not in prison– at least, not yet.

I whack Maggie on the arm again.

Delilah: disposition.
Maggie: oh, okay.

I click on disposition on the screen.

Delilah: criminal proceeding have been concluded, and... indefinitely postponed.
Maggie: so that means the trial's been cancelled.
Delilah: which means that Alex took a plea, which means Alex is in prison. Great.

I couldn't take it anymore. I grab my things and rush to the hospital. Once I got to the hospital, I change then I walk around to calm my nerves. I end up running into Dylan in the process.

Dylan: hey. You seem tense. You alright?
Delilah: other than the fact that my best friend is probably in jail? Oh yeah, just peachy.
Dylan: wait, what?
Delilah: his trial was postponed, which means Alex took that stupid two years plea, and now he's in jail.
Dylan: oh god. Ellie, I'm sorry. I understand how important Alex is to you. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.
Delilah: today, I'm just going to operate and prevent myself from having an anxiety attack. Nearly had one this morning.
Dylan: call me if you need me.
Delilah: mhmm.

Dylan and I part ways and I find Dr. Minnick at the OR board. I see my name on the board for a neuroblastomas and I get all excited, but my excitement falls when I see Minnick erase my name.