Chapter 197:

Mer is finally back to work and I'm so excited to have my best friend back at work. I walk into the lounge and I squeal when I see Mer sitting with Alex. I drop my things and hug Mer.

Delilah: you're back! You're back, you're back, my best friend is back!

Mer chuckles as I hug her tighter. After a while, I sit beside Alex and place my feet on Mer's lap. April walks into the room as I lean my head on Alex's shoulder.

April: morning.
Meredith: morning.
April: good to have you back.
Meredith: thank you.
April: so, when I was Chief—
M&D: interim Chief.

I smirk with Mer.

April: I took the liberty of catching you up on all your backlogged resident reports, department budgets, supply orders, so...
Meredith: I was going to do that.

Mer snatches the folder from April.

April: of course you were. I just figured, you know, the same way you fill the tank with gas when you return someone's car...
M&D: you stole the car.

I stifle a laugh at Mer and I's shared thought. Even after all these years, we still manage to think in sync.

April: you're welcome.

Riggs walks in as April walks out.

Riggs: ah. Look who's back. Have to say, I thought you'd last longer. You folded quick.
Meredith: I didn't fold.
Riggs: you're here, aren't you? The Chief didn't fire Minnick.
Meredith: Dr. Webber asked me to come back. Same with Lilah, and I can't exactly say no to her. There was no folding.

I smile proudly at the fact that Mer came back for me, partially.

Riggs: if you say so.

Riggs smiles at me as he walks out of the room.

Alex: if you're into the guy, why not be with him?
Meredith: because I don't want to be with him.
Alex: oh, come on. Is it because of Maggie? She'll get over it.
Meredith: no. I don't want to be with him.
Alex: okay. You do though.

I chuckle as my phone goes off.

Meredith: but I don't.

I walk out with Alex and go towards the elevator. When we get there, DeLuca was following beside us. The tension between the two was thick.

We both step into the elevator and I awkwardly stand next to Alex as we ride the elevator.

Alex: so, listen, are we cool?

Really Alex?

DeLuca: what do you mean, "are we cool"?
Alex: I don't want there to ge any problems with patients. Just, are we cool? I mean, to work together.
DeLuca: we're cool.
Alex: I had to ask. It's kids.
DeLuca: we're cool.
Alex: okay. Good.

I walk off the elevator with Alex.

Delilah: you gonna be okay?
Alex: yeah. Hey, I heard you filed a restraining order against your bio mom.
Delilah: yeah I did, a while ago.
Alex: does the kid know?
Delilah: he does. I told him, and he's okay with it.
Alex: so he's staying away?
Delilah: no. I actually am working on building a relationship with him. He's a great kid and he doesn't have anyone looking out for him, so I thought I'd step up.
Alex: that's cool.
Delilah: hey, talk later. Gotta go do a consult.

I walk off to do my consult.

-later-

I'm walking around when I see Jackson talking with Arizona, Meredith and Maggie. I stand next to Jackson and step into the conversation.