Chapter 202:

Mer and I are on a plane for a conference and this is the first time in a while since I've been on a plane. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about being on the plane. Ever since the plane crash, I've been so afraid to fly. My hand was latched onto Mer's as we prepare for take off.

Meredith: hey.

I look at Mer who looked concerned.

Delilah: hmm?
Meredith: everything is gonna be fine.

Mer squeezes my hand and I felt myself calm down a little. I lean my head on Mer's shoulder and she rests her head on top of mine as I shut my eyes. The flight attendant starts talking but I zone her out. I could hear a little boy and his mother talking next to Mer and I.

Marisela: come on Diego.
Diego: no!
Marisela: Diego. Diego, calm down. Come on. Papa.

I smile at the cute little boy.

Marisela: sientate bien. Come on.
Diego: no!
Marisela: no, no, no. Come on. I'm so sorry. He's usually not like this, but he didn't get a nap today.
Delilah: that's fine.
Meredith: the both of us have three kids of our own at home.
Diego: no, I don't like goldfish.
Man: uh, excuse me?

I see the guy across from us call the stewardess over.

Man: hi. Uh, can I switch seats or something? It's just I have a deadline, and I need this flight to work– you don't even have to move the screaming kid. I'll go. Move me to the back, anywhere, I don't care. Aisle seat would be best! Also not like the back back where the seat doesn't recline—
Stewardess: it's a full flight sir.
Man: worst flight ever.

I glare at the guy.

Meredith: do you have a problem with a crying child?
Man: I mean...
Delilah: as if his mother isn't under enough stress, you want to add to it and make it worse?
Man: I just want to focus on my briefing.
Meredith: there are complementary earplugs in the seat pocket.
M&D: use those.

Mer and I lay back in our seats then we look at each other.

Marisela: you both might be my new heroes.

Mer and I chuckle at the woman.

Marisela: this is our first family trip together. Bryan planned it last minute. Of course. He said it was gonna be relaxing and blissful, but so far, not much bliss.

Mer and I chuckle at the woman. Just then, a guy approaches us. Turns out it's the woman's husband.

Bryan: excuse me, sorry. Marisela, are you okay? I can hear him all the way from my seat. W-w-w-w– you want me to take him?
Diego: papa.
Marisela: it's okay, go sit back down. But I reserve the right to switch out mid-flight, because mama's gonna need a glass of wine. Or three.

Mer and I laugh along with Marisela.

Meredith: you guys weren't able to sit together?
Marisela: like I said, last minute.
Meredith: oh. Well, do you want to?
Bryan: thank you.

I grab my bags from overhead and I walk with Mer to my new seat. I put my bags overhead then I sit down. I turn my head towards Mer and I was shocked to see Riggs sitting on the other side of Meredith. They started having a conversation but I put my headphones in and drown them out.

-later-

I've been trying my best to distract myself during the flight, but my anxiety is on overdrive. My hands were shaking and I was clinging to the seat handle. Pretty sure the guy next to me thought I was crazy.

Noah: not a fan of flying?
Delilah: not really.
Noah: don't worry. It gets better.
Delilah: thanks. I'm Delilah.
Noah: Noah. Nice to meet you.
Delilah: you too.