Chapter 266:

My anxiety is at an all-time high. Two days ago during a medical conference in California, Richard had some sort of unknown mental episode, and he is returning to the hospital today. I've never been so nervous in my life.

I walk into the lab and I see Bailey on the phone while Amy and Mer were writing on the white board to figure out what the hell is going on with Richard.

Bailey: carotid duplex. ECHO. CT to rule out stroke, tremors, intracranial hemorrhage. Urinalysis to rule out UTI.
Amy: did they run a tox screen?
Bailey: uh, and you ran a tox screen? Clean. Okay. Well, thank you. Uh, we'll confirm when we've received them.

I let out a deep breath.

Bailey: let's round up the troops.

I link arms with Amy and leave with her.

Delilah: how's my baby cousin doing?
Amy: kicking me every chance possible.
Delilah: I can't believe you're getting closer to your due date! Ah, it seems like just yesterday when I was pregnant. I miss it.

Amy looks at me in shock.

Amy: seriously?
Delilah: yeah. I mean, I miss feeling them move around in my belly, hearing their heartbeats for the first time, talking to them. It's all so... magical. Did dad ever tell you that he felt a flicker of magic when I was born?
Amy: all the time. You've also told me that every single time you gave birth.
Delilah: and I meant it every time. I'm telling you Amy, having a baby will change your life. I know you've had your thoughts that you aren't going to be a good mom, and that you're going to fail and that you aren't ready for this, but I'm telling you right now that the second you look at your baby for the first time, all your worries will wash away. The only thing that will matter is the little human you're holding. Everything you have and everything you are will be theirs forever. You're going to be an amazing mom.

I kiss Amy on the forehead then walk off to check on other patients.

-later-

I stand close to mom as we present Richard's case.

Bailey: we've got a 65 year old male suffering from memory lapses, tremors, depression and mood swings, and erratic behaviour. Yes, I am talking about Richard Webber, but today, he is not the Richard Webber you know and love. He is our number one patient. Two days ago, he suffered a public... episode at a medical conference. Patient's history includes an appendectomy, a hip replacement, surgery for a brain tumor pressing on his optic nerve.
Delilah: he was also electrocuted several years ago, which led to surgery for a pancreatic pseudocyst.
Bailey: this is a list of possible diagnoses. Some, we have already ruled out. This, we still need to. Meredith.
Meredith: uh, we'll run all the labs. We'll do the blood cultures, vitamin levels, check the thyroid function, and we'll check the urine for heavy metals.
Bailey: mhmm.
Maggie: prepare yourselves. He's not himself.
Helm: we saw the video.

I place a comforting hand on mom's back.

Bailey: unless you get called in for something emergent, this is your job today.

I see Koracick with his hand raised.

Delilah: what is it Koracick?
Tom: uh... hi, Dr. Bailey. Hi. Tom Koracick, neuro. I know we don't want to think it, but have we ruled out, uh, dementia?

I let out a sigh and share a look with Mer.

Maggie: no, we have not.
Tom: get a PET scan, throw in a beta-amyloid tracer, and look for Alzheimer's.
Meredith: it's not Alzheimer's.
Bailey: everything is on the table. Nothing is out of the question. Let's get to work.