Chapter 267:

Days have gone by and we still can't figure out the right diagnosis for what's going on with Richard. I can't remember the last time I slept, the last time I ate. I can't even remember the last time I left the hospital. I've spent all my time at the hospital trying to figure out what's wrong with Richard, I can't even remember the last time I saw my kids' faces.

I'm in the lounge with Mer and Andrew going over more research.

Andrew: uh, hey. Has– has Richard been getting the hiccups lately?
Meredith: I don't know.
Delilah: why?
Andrew: could be a symptom of Cruetzfeldt-Jakob's disease. Less than 350 Americans get it each year.
Meredith: there's no 1-hertz spikes on the EEG.
Delilah: has the RT Quick Panel come back yet?
Andrew: um... ugh. Not sure. My tablet just died. Okay. I'm gonna get another one. I'll be right back.

Andrew leaves the room as Maggie walks in.

Maggie: permission slips. Zola and the twins' combined field trip to the zoo.
Delilah: oh yeah.
Meredith: well, that's next week, but...
Maggie: this is next week.

Has it really been that long? Crap.

M&D: oh.
Maggie: has DeLuca been sleeping?
Meredith: I don't know.
Maggie: you're okay with that?
Meredith: are you here to help?
Maggie: when my mom was sick, I was so blinded by my need to cure her that I couldn't accept the fact that she was dying. And instead of caring for her, I put her through all the unnecessary testing, and I hurt her. That's what you told me.
Delilah: but Mags, she had an actual diagnosis.
Meredith: Ellie's right.
Maggie: it's Alzheimer's you guys.
Meredith: I do not believe that it is.
Delilah: neither do I.
Maggie: well, Amelia and Koracick do. So Catherine's taking Richard home today.

Mer and I both let out a sigh as Maggie walks out of the room.

Delilah: it's not Alzheimer's. I know it Mer.

I lean my head on Mer's shoulder.

-later-

I walk into the room of my patient with Hayes, Jo and Jackson. Our patient today is a 13 year old with Moebius syndrome.

Hayes: morning Daya. How you doing today?
Daya: I'd be better if I had a smiling photo for this dating app.

I look at the young girl confused.

Daya: his, not mine.

I nod my head when I realize that she meant her father.

Daya's dad: she signed me up against my will.
Daya: and you can see how happy it makes me. Oh right, you can't. Fun!

I chuckle at the girl's sarcasm.

Jo: Daya Burman, 13, presents with Moebius syndrome, a rare neurological condition that inhibits facial expression and—
Daya: and leaves me with resting bitch face 24/7.
Data's dad: not true. And language.
Daya: you'd swear too, if you could only express your emotions through Bitmojis.
Hayes: well fortunately, we're gonna change all that. Avery's?
Jackson: yes we are.
Delilah: because today, we are doing a bilateral gracilis transfer, which means we're taking the muscles and nerves from your legs...

Jackson pulls up the demonstration.

Delilah: and implanting them onto your face—
Daya: sorry to interrupt.
Delilah: mhmm?
Daya: but we know the surgery. We've bailed on it four times in the last year. And by "we", I mean...