Chapter 215:

I have been spending pretty much all of my time on my Alzheimer's project and it's been tough. The countless late nights coming home from the hospital, all the thinking, I can't even remember the last time I saw my kids in daylight. It's been tough, but I want this project to be perfect.

Anyways, I'm at Mer's helping with the kids and Maggie was talking about her project. I still haven't forgiven her for what happened between her and Jackson, but I'm trying my best to be civilized around her. I want to be the bigger person, but that takes a lot of effort, so I'm taking baby steps.

Maggie: okay, if my LVAD batteries cost $500 apiece and I need 25 of them, how much is that?
Zola: 12,500.

I smile at Zola with pride.

Maggie: very good.
Delilah: look at you, little miss smarty pants.
Maggie: do you think that will be enough?
Zola: definitely.
Maggie: are you sure? Because if the te– I need an adult now. I'm trying to figure out how much money to allocate toward my test materials. It's very stressful.
Meredith: please. You have $100,000. I have a 90 year old Spanish doctor I have to convince to give me his patent on his cross-polymer so April Kepner doesn't find out that I'm a fraud and a disgrace to medicine.
Delilah: you're not a disgrace Mer bear. A fraud, yes.
Amy: try having zero dollars and a 12 year old with a brain tumor you promised them and your niece you'd get rid of.
Delilah: you can do it Amy. I believe in you.

We walk out of the house and drive to the hospital. Once we get to the hospital, I bolt straight to my lab where I was greeted by Leon, who I have asked to assist me on my project.

Leon: morning Elle.
Delilah: morning Lee. Aww, coffee!
Leon: for my mentor.
Delilah: you're too sweet. Let's get to business, shall we?
Leon: we shall.

I chug our coffee then start working.

-later-

I got paged by Owen for an incoming trauma so I bolt to the ER, grab a trauma gown and meet with Owen, April and Mer. We run out to the ambulance bay where we see Ben come out of the rig.

Delilah: talk to us Ben.
Ben: 14 year old male, blunt abdominal trauma and a penetrating injury to his upper thigh. Bleeding from a scalp lac. I pulled him and his brother out of a house fire– chemistry experiment gone wrong.
Tyler: did I kill my little brother? Please. He's gonna be okay, right? Mom's gonna be so mad.
Ben: lungs are clear, vitals are stable, saturating 95 in the mask. He's been coming in and out of consciousness.
Tyler: I was just trying to teach him chemistry. Can you tell my mom? That I wasn't doing anything wrong?
Owen: okay, I got him.
Delilah: trauma one?
Ben: yeah. No, Lilah. You and Grey, you need to meet the other rig. His younger brother got thrown by the blast. He was bleeding out from the abdomen, and, well, one of our team, she just shoved her hand in there.

We run up to the other rig and Ben opens the rig and I see a woman with her hand inside the younger brother's abdomen. Wow, this is bringing back memories.

Andy: you look 12. Can you find me a grown-up to tell me that?
M&D: do not move your hand!
Andy: see that? Grown-ups.

Mer and I jump into the rig.

Meredith: can you feel a pulse?
Andy: yeah.
Meredith: what do you think she's got in her hand Schmitt?
Levi: his abdominal aorta?
Delilah: correct.
Levi: don't take your hand out!

Wow, thanks captain obvious.

Delilah: what's your name?
Andy: Herrera. Andy Herrera.
Delilah: oh, hey, I remember you! I've seen you around. Sup girl?
Andy: not much.
Delilah: okay, Andy, we have to get him up to the OR. And I'm sure you're very clear about this, but you cannot move your hand.
April: can you hold pressure while we bring the gurney down?
Andy: my hand, arm and shoulder are already numb, but... I'm going with yes.
April: okay, careful everybody. If she moves her hand even just a little bit, he's dead in seconds.
Levi: got it.
Meredith: keep a healthy distance. Bump into her and I'll kill you.