Chapter 233:

Today is the twins' birthday today so I'm trying my best to shorten my day. I'm walking with Mer after my surgery and I see Alex writing his name on the OR board.

M&D: you're on the board?
Alex: yeah. I-I'm sorry. I want to be there when—
Delilah: no, no. Mer and I have a bunch of little kids coming to her house in a few hours. You said you would help.

Mer and I made a deal back when we were pregnant together that we would do a conjoined birthday party every year for Bailey and the twins.

Meredith: she's right. And we don't know anything about superheroes.
Alex: well, you tell Bailey and the twins that uncle Alex is saving lives, that he actually is a superhero.
Delilah: yeah, right. That'll definitely work.
Teddy: ooh, Dr. Karev, can I walk with you?
Alex: um, yeah, what, do you live here?
Teddy: well, it's– it's complicated.

Teddy and Alex walk off and I walk off in the opposite direction. Leon pops up next to me and hands me a cup of hot chocolate.

Delilah: you're the best.
Leon: I know.

Leon throws his arm around my shoulders and we talk about my study.

-later-

I'm in the lobby with Jackson and Dylan discussing a patient when Maggie comes up to us.

Dylan: hey.
Maggie: hey.
Delilah: you look nice.
Maggie: thanks. Cece's funeral.
Dylan: yes. How'd that go?
Maggie: it was awful. And beautiful. A lot of her single clients were there.
Delilah: no doubt there'll be a lot of hookups tonight.

We all share a laugh.

Dylan: fitting.
Maggie: yeah. How are you guys doing? Did you guys talk to your mom?
Jackson: uh, yeah.
Delilah: yeah, we all had dinner last night, and we all have a surgery together today, so...
Maggie: you're doing a surgery? Catherine's doing a surgery?
Mom: a pelvic ex enters room that spares the uterus, to be exact.

I look behind Maggie and see mom with Richard. Things have been complicated between mom and I since I found out about her tumor. I was furious at her for not telling me, but I'm also just scared for her safety.

Webber: and the patient's ready for us.

Mom and Webber start walking, with Jackson and I following behind. We make it to the room and we listen to Helm present the case.

Helm: Uma Paxton, 25, here for total pelvic exenteration with flap reconstruction for a recurrent vaginal tumor.
Mom: not total Dr. Helm. We are preserving the uterus.
Helm: oh. Wow, that's possible?
Mom: it is now. Because I developed the technique.
Uma: my first doctors blasted me with chemo and radiation, but it came back, so they said I had to remove most of my insides, but Dr. Fox found a silver lining.
Mom: Dr. Webber?
Webber: I'll make an incision into your abdomen and remove your rectum to create a colostomy while Dr. Fox removed your bladder and creates a urostomy.
Mom: and then I will remove the tumor and everything but your uterus.
Jackson: Dr. Avery-Shepherd and I will lead on your vaginal reconstruction.
Delilah: we'll cover any defects with skin and fat from your belly.
Uma: so... not complicated.

We all share a laugh.

Uma: man, I didn't think that I ever wanted kids until I found out that I might not be able to have any, so thank you Dr. Fox.
Mom: Uma, we've talked about this before, but now that the day has come, I really have to ask again. This surgery's long, it's complex, and it's very personal. Are you sure you're alright with other doctors watching from the gallery?
Uma: you're a pioneer, and this could help save more women like me. So teach away.
Mom: alright guys. Let's do this.