Chapter 229:

I'm walking around the halls looking through charts when I bump into Alex.

Delilah: hey chief!
Alex: mornin'.

Alex throws his arm around my waist and kisses my forehead and I lean my head on his shoulder as we continue walking. From the corner of my eye, I see Link approaching us.

Link: hey Chief. Um, I just saw the funding for my prosthetics project is frozen?
Alex: temporarily. Budget issues.
Link: oh man. We're gonna take that out on little kids though?
Alex: yes, and I know it's unfair, so save it.

I chuckle as Alex walks away.

Link: woah. Morning Dr. Grey.

I look up and I see Mer with a whole new outfit and she was wearing makeup.

Meredith: good morning Dr. Lincoln. Morning Ellie.
Delilah: morning Mer.
Meredith: who's up Helm?
Helm: a Mr. Saether. He's here for his– woah. Uh, new makeup?
Meredith: is there something wrong with it?
Link&Helm: no.

Link walks away.

Delilah: you look great Mer bear.
Andrew: wow.
Meredith: hi.

I smile when I see Andrew and Carina join us.

Meredith: do you need something?
Andrew: uh, no, nothing. Sorry. I just– you look really, um– you look very... uh–
Helm: capable.
Andrew: capable today. Thank you. Uh... hi.

I chuckle at the nervous boy. Mer told me that he kissed her the day of Alex and Jo's wedding while he was drunk and ever since then, there's been all these confusing feelings with Andrew for Mer.

Mer and Helm walk into a patient's room. Once they were gone, Carina and I both smirk at Andrew.

Andrew: what?
Carina: I don't want to leave town when you're about to make a great big fool of yourself over your lady boss.

I couldn't help but bust into laughter.

Andrew: oh, shut up. I'm not...
Delilah: come on Andrea, è così dolorosamente ovvio—

Translation: it is so painfully obvious.

Andrew: I'm– no, I'm–

Carina and I continue to speak to Andrew in Italian and he starts walking away with us behind him teasing him in Italian. Suddenly, I get paged to the ER, so I run and meet with Owen. I see Ben wheeling in a patient.

Ben: small apartment fire. This guy got the worst of it.
Delilah: let's skip the trauma room and head straight to the burn unit. Call Dr. Jackson Avery and let him know we're coming up.
Owen: hold the elevator!
Ben: I can take him up. I know the way.
Delilah: okay. Thanks Warren. I'm gonna go out to the ambulance bay.
Owen: okay.

I run out beside Bailey and Andrew to the ambulance bay and we approach the rig.

Delilah: Herrera, my girl, it's good to see you again. What did you bring us gorgeous?
Andy: 40 year old female, unconscious at the scene, persistently hypotensive, pulse 120, resps 24. No evidence of trauma.
Andrew: okay. Any smoke inhalation?
Paramedic: she wasn't even in the fire. She was evacuated with the other tenants, and then she collapsed on the street outside.
Andrew: let's get her inside.

Andrew starts wheeling the patient in.

Andy: shoot. Where'd he go?
Bailey: who?
Andy: Max– her kid. He was– he was right here.

Andy and Bailey start looking and I was about to go running when I see a small pair of eyes looking at me from behind the seat in the rig.

Delilah: hey there buddy. Are you Max?