Chapter 227:

Unfortunately, our happy bubble was interrupted when we got paged back to the hospital about Nisha. We were told that she spiked a post-op fever, so we bolted to the hospital as fast as we could. Once we got to the hospital, we run straight to Nisha's room.

Levi: she's been in and out since you left, and her blood pressure's dropping.
Jackson: alright. Let's get a sepsis work-up, a chest x-ray, and some cultures.
Levi: blood and urine is already done.
Delilah: thank you Schmitt. Hey Nisha, Dr. Avery is going to check your back, okay honey? It might sting a little.
Cece: Nisha, how you feeling?
Nisha: I don't know. How am I feeling?
Jackson: you got a bit of an infection back here, but I'm gonna change up your antibiotics, okay?
Nisha: you can do whatever you want to me. See? I flirted!

I roll my eyes. I know she has an infection and a fever, but she needs to watch it.

Delilah: sweetie, he's married with three, soon to be four kids. Learn your boundaries.
Cece: a little aggressive, but once the drugs wear off, we'll work on the nuance and the boundaries. Sorry doctor.
Delilah: it's fine Cece.

Suddenly, I hear the monitors on Cece's side go off.

Helm: she's in v-tach! Pull in a crash cart!
Delilah: stay with Nisha. I got her.

I run over to Cece's room as the crash cart rolls in.

Delilah: paddles. Sync charge to 100.

I grab the paddles from Helm and charge.

Delilah: clear!

We shock her, but no change.

Helm: still v-tach.
Delilah: charge again, 120. Clear!

We shock again, but no change,

Nisha: help her! You have to do something!
Delilah: 200. Clear.

We shock her once again, and she comes back and starts coughing.

Cece: what– what happened?
Jackson: Lilah, her heart rate's dropping.
Delilah: this is gonna be a long night.

I run back into Nisha's room and try to get Nisha back.

-the next morning-

I'm standing outside of Nisha's room with Jackson updating Mer on Cece.

Delilah: she went into v-tach at least four times in the middle of the night.
Meredith: and until the dialysis restores her electrolytes, she's at risk for arrhythmias.
Helm: we could start her on an amiodarone drip.
Meredith: alright, well, let's keep that as a plan and just keep rechecking her potassium. How's Nisha?
Levi: she's septic, white count of 22,000, and we started her on pressors. Her parents are on a flight back from Tokyo now, but until they get here, Cece won't leave her side.
Meredith: so let's make sure that she wears a mask and gloves.
Jackson: yeah. Send for an ABG and, uh, lactic acid.

Schmitt walks off.

Meredith: thanks for keeping an eye on her. She's a very sweet woman, but she's so aggressive with the—
Jackson: the matchmaking? Yeah.
Delilah: no freakin' kidding. Tried setting Nisha up with Jackson. But I set them both straight.
Meredith: I can't go back in there. At least you can tell her to back off because you have Lilah.
Delilah: damn straight he does.
Jackson: yeah, but also, you should just tell her you have work, you know?
Meredith: and what does that mean?
Jackson: that you're married to your work.
Meredith: I mean... but I'm not.
Delilah: oh, come on Mer. We all are. Just you more specifically. Out of everyone in the hospital, you're the one who's the most married to your work.
Meredith: excuse me?
Jackson: have you seen the, uh, hyperbaric chamber? That thing is finished, so it's probably worth taking a little peek.