Chapter 239:

I'm walking around the hospital looking through patients when Jackson and Dylan approach me.

Dylan: there's our favourite girl.
Delilah: morning boys.

I chuckle when they kiss each side of my forehead.

Dylan: Maggie's doing a podcast and she's killing it.
Delilah: that's awesome.

Then, I get a text from Alex.

My Forever Person 💖: since you are the greatest best friend ever, can you cover the pit today? Hunt and Altman both took personal days and I need someone.

Me: sorry Ally bear, I'm doing a rhinoplasty with Jackson today. Would it be okay if you asked Bailey?

My Forever Person 💖: that's fine ❤️

Me: thanks Ally cat 😘

Jackson: we should go meet with Link lovey.
Delilah: okay. See you later Dyl.

I kiss Dylan on the cheek then I walk with Jackson and meet with Link. Once we meet up with him, along with Nico and Schmitt, we go see our patient. I smile as we walk into the room.

Hunter: hey Link!
Link: hey, number 20.

I chuckle as Link does a handshake with the boy.

Jackson: alright. Jackson and Delilah Avery, Plastics.
Jenny: Jenny Martinez, mother.
Delilah: nice to meet you.

I shake hands with our patient while the mom hugs Link.

Jenny: we miss you at the clubhouse. You're gonna get him squared away so he can get called up next year, right?
Link: that is the hope. But it's gonna be a long road. Dr. Kim, all you.
Nico: okay. Hunter Martinez, 20 years old, diagnosed with osteosarcoma of the distal right femur, here for a rotation-plasty.
Jenny: uh, what exactly is that? He only told me about this last week, so I'm playing catch-up.
Hunter: she worries too much. Show her the cartoon.
Nico: okay.

Nico pulls up the image.

Jackson: we will begin by removing the lower end of the femur, the knee joint, and the upper tibia.
Delilah: then we will rotate the lower leg 180 degrees and reattach the remainder of the leg.
Link: the ankle joint will serve as the new knee joint to fit in for the prosthetic leg.
Jenny: oh my god!
Link: now, don't worry Jenny. He's already done his three months of chemo...

I look over at Hunter who was giving Link the signal to stop talking. He didn't tell his mother.

Link: so this surgery will leave him cancer-free—
Jenny: three months? You've known about this for three months?

Oh boy.

Hunter: I didn't want to freak you out.
Jenny: freak me out?!

There was a brief moment of awkward silence.

Jenny: we'll, uh... talk about this later. Please, um... continue.
Nico: okay. Well, the first step would be to make an incision in the thigh.

We continue going over the surgery with Hunter and his mother. Once we explained everything, we walk out of the room and Jo approaches us.

Jo: wait, wait, wait! I, uh– I need you to put me on a surgery. Any surgery.
Link: why?
Jo: because I told my husband I had a surgery.
Link: got it. What are you avoiding?
Jo: telling you would defeat the purpose of avoiding it.

Jackson walks out of the room and does the same handshake with Link that Link did with Hunter and I start to cringe.

Delilah: babe...
Jo: oh god. Oh, what's happening? No. Eye contact. Oh.