Chapter 237:

I'm sitting in the gallery with the kids watching Mer perform surgery. She is so close to beating the hospital record for longest surgery and I wanted to be there.

Qadri: how long do you think it'll take before I'm ready to do a 24 hour surgery.
Link: I'm not sure that's a healthy life goal Qadri.

I nod in agreement as Link hands me a bag of chips. Since he started here, I'd like to say that Link and I have become friends pretty quickly.

Jo walks into the gallery as I lean my head on Alex's shoulder.

Jo: hey. What's going on?
Alex: Mer's doing a pancreas-sparing total duodenectomy in a frozen abdomen.
Jo: oh. It got moved from yesterday?
Link: no, she started it yesterday.
Delilah: five more hours, and she's gonna break the hospital's record for the longest surgery.
Jo: you think it's gonna take five more hours?
Alex: well, I mean, with the adhesions and the scar tissue, it's taking her longer, so yeah. She can beat the record.
Jo: feel a little better?
Alex: no. I mean, yeah, she gets awards and prizes and all that, but I get to be chief, so we're good.

I chuckle at Alex as I hold my son to my chest.

-later-

I see Jackson with Dylan and I look in the car to see a bunch of camping supplies.

Delilah: hey babe. Whatcha doin'?
Jackson: hey! Packing up for camping.
Delilah: sweetie, I love you but I'm not going camping with you while I'm pregnant.
Jackson: oh come on baby, you love camping.
Delilah: I did when I did it with my dad.
Jackson: come on, it'll be so fun.
Delilah: babe, I'm pregnant. There are a lot of risks camping. How about we take the kids camping after the baby is born, okay?
Jackson: fine, I'm holding you to it.

I chuckle as I kiss Jackson.

Delilah: okay, time to get this little stinker to daycare. Say bye bye dadda.
Xander: bye dadda.
Jackson: bye handsome boy.

Jackson kisses our son then I take him to daycare. As I get him settled, I get paged by Teddy. I run as fast as I can to the ER and I find Teddy coming into the ER.

Delilah: talk to me Teddy.
Teddy: Bailey and I nearly got ran over by some guys who literally dropped their buddy at the door. Overdose. We've got two more coming in.
Bailey: two more overdoses?
Ben: mhmm. Jerry and Paula. Regulars. Always shooting up in the park down the streets. They usually wake up with one dose of Narcan and then refuse treatment, but I've already given them three doses, and they're not responding. There's a bad batch of something out there.
Bailey: okay.

Bailey takes the patient and I hear Ben's radio go off.

P.A: attention all units, we've reached Code Rer status. Any available unit, please report yo Meridien Park for multiple suspected overdose events.
Ben: looks like I'll be seeing a lot of you today. See you in a bit Lilah. Oh, and here. Fuel up. It's gonna be a long day.

I smile when Ben hands me a protein bar and a bottle of water.

Delilah: you're too good to me Ben Warren.
Teddy: ready?
Delilah: let's do it T.
Teddy: okay, listen up. This is gonna be an all-hands-on-deck situation.
Delilah: let's page on-call personnel. Let's make sure that we have all the Narcan from the pharmacy to reverse the opioids.
Teddy: we need to be prepared for secondary injuries and side effects. Wait a minute. Where are all my residents?
Webber: uh, they're in Grey's gallery. I'll make sure they get down here.
Teddy: okay.
Webber: what about Hunt?
Delilah: he's saying goodbye to Leo. Betty's parents are taking him.
Webber: I'm sorry to hear about that, but this is a mass OD.
Delilah: just give him a few minutes Richard, then I'll page him. Please?
Webber: ... okay.