Chapter 198:

Jackson and I are heading to Montana today and I was actually a bit excited. I also found out that Dylan is also going to Montana for a Peds case so I'm going to be flying with Jackson and Dylan. We meet up with Dylan and we see a taxi pull up.

Dylan: hold up. Since when is April coming? Where's Grey?
Delilah: oh, Mer wanted me to tell you that Zola has the flu, so she isn't coming. And since Zola is sick, Owen is taking care of my kids while I'm with Jackson in Montana.
Jackson: wait, Hunt is taking care of the kids?
Delilah: babe, I trust Owen with my kids. And besides, I told him that if anything bad happens to my kids while I'm gone, I will kill him in his sleep.

Jackson chuckles at me as we board the plane.

Attendant: may I take your bag, Dr. Avery-Shepherd?
Delilah: thank you.

I hand the bag to the flight attendant then I lay down on the small couch across from Jackson.

Delilah: this is amazing. Why haven't we taken this plane before?
Jackson: we haven't had to use it until now.

I could hear Dylan and April arguing a little ways from us but I ignore it. I see the attendant walk by with glasses of champagne.

Delilah: we shouldn't drink champagne since we're going straight to the hospital.
Jackson: yeah.
Delilah: I'll just have iced tea please.
Jackson: same for me Katie, thank you.
Katie: coming up.

I close my eyes as Katie walks off.

-later-

We finally arrived in Montana and Jackson and I took a car to go to the Avery Medical Center. When we pull up, I look at the center in awe.

Delilah: wow.
Jackson: welcome to the Avery Medical Center lovey.

I walk in with Jackson hand in hand and we meet with one of the doctors.

Dr. Corridan: welcome, welcome. Here are your charts. Dr. Avery, Dr. Shepherd.
Delilah: Dr. Avery-Shepherd. I'm his wife.
Dr. Corridan: of course. My apologies. I– I know his name because it's on all our stationary.
Delilah: of course.
Dr. Corridan: and I understand that another couple of doctors will be here for a case.
Delilah: yes. Doctors Dylan Hudson and Kepner.
Dr. Corridan: anyways. A patient and a donor– two of them here together, same time, same day, perfect match... it's like winning the lottery.
Delilah: if you call a brain-dead kid a lottery ticket, then yeah.
Dr. Corridan: of course. And it's a horrible loss. Uh, that was– I-I'm just thrilled that you're both here to make this possible.

We change into some scrubs and then we walk with Dr. Corridan to the patient's room.

Dr. Corridan: the donor patient's room is at the end of this ICU.
Delilah: and you have the donor consent forms?
Dr. Corridan: yeah, before we get to that, uh, Mr. Young is going to need you to explain to him why there's nothing more you can do for his son.
Jackson: what? No one's told him that yet?
Delilah: I thought he knew we were coming.
Dr. Corridan: well, he does. It– it's just that, he's had a bit of trouble accepting what's happened, as I'm sure you can understand.
Jackson: you told me very clearly that the patient's father was on board.
Dr. Corridan: now, hold on. I never said that he agreed. I merely said—
Delilah: so he thinks that we're coming to save his kid, not take his organs.
Dr. Corridan: I thought that, once you had examined the boy, it'd be better coming from you.

I look at the doctor in shock. I decided to push those feelings aside and talk to the donor patient's father.

Eric: I'm just glad you're here. I mean, Dr. Corridan said that there's nothing he could do. Then he said there was another doctor who was coming in from Seattle. I was like– I mean, this is great, right? Th-there's hope. So, okay. What's the plan? I mean, you– you– you want to do some tests? Surgery? Obviously, you want to examine him, but how long before you think he'll wake up?
Delilah: Mr. Young, I'm afraid—
Eric: Eric, Eric please.
Delilah: Eric—
Eric: it's his birthday. Did I tell you that? Double digits, he kept saying. I mean, he was having the time of his life up on that mountain. "Just one more run dad. Just one more run..."
Delilah: Eric, I'm afraid we have some difficult news. We've looked at Brian's scans, and unfortunately, Dr. Corridan was right. There's nothing we can do for your son.