Chapter 214:

I'm standing in front of the board waiting for the rules for the contest to be posted, but for some reason, April hasn't shown up yet, and my anxiety is going through the room.

I have been spending all my time at the hospital trying to think of a great idea for the contest, but I realized that the perfect idea was right in front of me.

Dylan: alright, so, is this maybe online or something?
Webber: no, she should be here with the rules right now.

I see Mer come around as Alex wraps his arm around my waist.

Meredith: Kepner's MIA?
Owen: yeah, and Bailey's still out on vacation.
Alex: "Bailey" and "vacation" sounds weird together.
Delilah: amen.
Maggie: I just wish there were dates, you know, deadlines, bylaws. Guidelines are nice.
Amy: I've got five viability studies going. I need to know if I should start making panic-based decisions.
Alex: five? I don't even have one.
Delilah: you don't? Seriously Alex?
Meredith: yeah Alex.
Alex: what's yours?
M&D: shut up.
Jackson: I mean, do you guys want to know what you're gonna lose to, or you want to be surprised? Aerosolized stem cells that provide rapid tissue coverage and epidermal regeneration without any grafting.

Jackson has been working on spray-on skin for a long time now and I'm super proud of him. This is the kind of work Mark would be doing and I know he would've been really proud.

Meredith: spray-on skin?
Jackson: that's spray-on skin, ladies and gentlemen.

I smile at my husband proudly.

Delilah: that's my husband y'all.

I giggle as Jackson kisses my cheek.

Alex: what's your idea Lilah?
Delilah: not saying a word. I wanna wait til I win so I can see you bow before the queen.

This is my time to shine. Sorry Jackson, I may be proud of you and your spray-on skin, but this is my moment.

Dylan: finally.

I turn my head to see April walking by and she posts the rules for the contest. I stifle a laugh when I see her appearance. She looked like she was hungover and she had sunglasses on. She starts handing us copies of the rules for the contest.

Alex: we have to write a paper?
Owen: in three days?
Delilah: I could write a paper in three hours.
Maggie: MLA or APA style?
Meredith: how many people get in?
Amy: how many people get seed money?
Webber: how many people get big money?
April: okay, it's a brief proposal. It's not gonna kill you. You've known about this contest for weeks. You've had plenty of time. 25 proposals will be chosen to receive $100,000 in seed money. After phase two, five projects will get a million grant, and the eventual winner will receive $5 million. It's all right there in the rules.
Dylan: okay, but who's judging this thing? Not just you, right?
April: this is a world-class hospital and a multimillion dollar contest. Of course it's not just me. I have assembled an esteemed panel of emeritus surgeons from Seattle hospitals, and I expect you all not to waste our time. So I suggest you get to work instead of asking me questions which are answeeed by the papers in your hands! Ow.

I chuckle as April puts her sunglasses back on then walks off.

I walk off with Jackson.

Jackson: you still haven't told me about your study lovey.
Delilah: not yet.
Jackson: come on. You know about mine, tell me yours.
Delilah: you're going to think it sounds crazy and impossible.
Jackson: love, anything's possible with you. I won't judge you at all.
Delilah: just wait. It'll be worth it, I promise. I have to check on patients. I love you.

I kiss Jackson then I walk off and meet with Alex to round on our patient. My intern meets us halfway and I smile when I could hear our patient Kimmie singing beautifully surrounded by a bunch of doctors and nurses.