Chapter 58: My Savior From Panic

Start from the beginning

Flashback

"What's your name?" The boy asked curiously as he stared at me.

"Me?" I said surprised. "Uh. Kira.....Kira Hatake!"

"Hi Kira Hatake! I'm Might Gai! I'm going to be the strongest one around," he announced as he gave a thumbs up.

"That's my boy," Dai said as he chuckle.

I giggled in amusement. "I'll be waiting to see you make that happen."

Gai blushed at my statement and then smiled.

"Thank you for your support!" He called as he gave me another thumbs up.

"What're you doing in the water?"

I recognized him. It was that kid I met at the academy, Gai. I rubbed my eyes, hoping it wasn't obvious I had been crying and turned away.

"The water just feels nice...." I responded softly.

"Oh," he said and then we sat there in silence.

I eventually broke it and looked over at him.

"Are you going to call me names too and throw rocks at me?" I asked sadly.

Gai seemed confused and surprised by my question.

"Why would I do that?" He asked as he sat down on a rock by the stream. "You haven't done anything to deserve such actions."

I smiled a bit at his words and then faced him as I still sat in the water.

"Do you remember me?" I asked curiously.

"Uhhhh.....Oh. We met outside the academy and you said you couldn't wait to see me become the strongest ninja after I declared that as my goal! Although....I'm terribly bad at names...." he muttered shamefully as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"It's Kira. Kira Hatake," I replied with a smile. "We're acquainted once again, Might Gai."

"Yeah!" He replied enthusiastically, smiling a smile that seemed to shine in the light.

End of Flashback

"Kira!" Gai called and it snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Ah...uh...Sorry...." I responded and hid my face in my hands. "Sorry, I just spaced out."

"You're starting to worry me," Gai stated in a serious tone. "What happened in the market? Please tell me."

I could tell he was not going to let this matter go at all and sighed.

"I got scared and anxious. It felt like everyone was looking at me and talking about me," I explained to him. "Things have been so hard.....Mostly because I'm worried about Naruto half of the time now. People see him and judge him just because of something he had no control over. It hurts. I know how it feels to be looked at like that and I'm worried it'll start again. This place is my home but I can't help but feel like an outsider. It's starting to feel like that all over again and I can't tell if it's all in my head or not."

We stood there in silence for a long time as Gai pondered his response. Then he finally spoke up.

"It doesn't matter what everyone thinks," Gai stated which surprised me. "What matters is what the people closest think of you. To me you're kind, caring, and one of the strongest people I know. If anyone says any different, then they just don't know you and that's your loss. If you ever need help with Naruto ask any of us, your friends. We'd be glad to help."