Chapter 21: Recommended

Start from the beginning

Gai rested his head on my shoulder and hugged me close to him. After a couple minutes, I pulled away and lightly fixed his red scarf. He was wiping his eyes and then smiled at me.

"Thank you Kira. You're the best," he told me and I smiled.

"Thank you Gai," I responded. "Your father is a hero and you'll become the strongest shinobi ever."

"You're right. I'll just work even harder and challenge my rival more!" Gai announced.

"Yeah!" I replied and smiled, happy that Gai was back to his usual self.

**

After that incident I've been helping Gai train harder, training myself in the process. It was harder to keep up with him since I hadn't been training as long, but I was their to support him.

I was seven now, soon to be eight. I'd advanced more in my water techniques thanks to Emiyo Sensei's teachings. Thanks to Gai as well, I've excelled well in Taijutsu. Genjutsu wasn't really my strength.

"You all done training today?" A voice called which caused all of us to look over.

Emiyo Sensei approached us and smiled in amusement.

"Looks like you all have improved quite a bit," Emiyo Sensei pointed out. "Nari, you're Byakugan strength has improved greatly along with your gentle fist technique. Daiki, you've begun to grasp a lot more of your fire techniques and have done really well in your attacks. Kira, your water techniques have exceeded my expectations and your taijutsu has improved greatly. The reason I bring this up is because....I've recommended all of you for the Chunin Exams!"

"What?! Really!?" Daiki cheered as his eyes lit up. "Emiyo Sensei you're the best."

"The Chunin exams....." I murmured softly.

"That's right," Emiyo Sensei spoke in amusement and smiled. "It's up to you on whether you want to take it though, but I believe you're all ready."

"Isn't the exam split into three parts?" Nari questioned.

"That's correct. You'll have to continue working hard in order to pass," she replied with a wink. "Don't be late either."

"Yeah Nari," Daiki stated.

"She was talking about you, Daiki," Nari responded monotonously and Daiki glared at him.

"Come on you two. Let's call it quits for the day and go eat some ramen," I suggested as I wrapped my arms around them both with a smile. "My treat."

"Well....If you insist," Daiki spoke with a small smirk.

"Kira. You're being too nice and Daiki will eat to the brink where you'll end up broke," Nari stated and he looked down at me.

"Alright. I'll pay for both your first bowls, but after that you guys are paying," I stated.

"Awwww...Nari...Why did you have to ruin me getting endless free food...." Daiki complained saddened.

"Just because she is nice doesn't mean you should abuse that. She can kick your ass. I'm doing you a favor," Nari commented and began to walk off. "Let's go. I'm hungry."

Daiki and I nodded and followed after him after saying our goodbyes to Emiyo Sensei. We all sat down at Ichiraku Ramen and began to eat.

"Thank you for the food!" Daiki called and began to dig in.

"Not so fast Daiki. Savor your food," I scolded him.

"He'll never change, Kira," Nari responded softly. "Just focus on your meal."

I nodded and went back to eating. Afterwards, Nari offered to walk me home since the Hyuga compound was in that direction anyway.

"Do you think we'll actually pass?" I asked him curiously.

"Well, I think you have a high chance of passing. With your prior experience and all you've already been prepared for these types of things," Nari commented honestly. "Mist ninja are troublesome after all."

"You calling me troublesome, Nari?" I teased with a smirk.

"Of course not. Why would you ever think such a thing," Nari replied sarcastically and we both chuckled. "I might be able to get through, but I doubt Daiki will."

"What makes you say that?" I asked him curiously.

"I know you encourage him because he is your friend, but he hasn't developed as much as we have over the past year," Nari informed me. "Though he is determined and has shown promise in fire release, he still isn't as strong."

"You may be right, but as long as he does his best. I'll be glad," I told him with a smile. "And you'll do great too."

"Mhm," Nari replied with a nod. "We'll part ways here. Goodnight Kira."

"Night Nari!" I called and then raced back home.