chapter 48

Kate's POV

"I am so sorry mom." Tears in my eyes as I lay on my bed in my dorm. Josie isn't here because she's out partying. She invited me to go but I turned it down like always.

My eyes watery and a pit full of disappointment in my stomach. The tone in her voice made me feel horrible.

"Its okay .." I hear her sigh. I imagine her sitting near the table and her hands in her hands. Feeling horrible just like me. "Maybe next time." She mumbles through the phone before uttering her goodbye.

I turned my phone off and laid here. Feeling lonely and ashamed. I missed my own mother's birthday. They can't blame me because of my exams.

Studying in civil engineering is not easy. It takes up valuable time and studying is mandatory. But who can believe me? No one.

They make their assumptions and they think that my major is easy. Projects and presentations every week. Essays and more essays about surviving in economy. I come home at 11 at night then go back to class at 9 am.

When do I have time to study? In between classes and early in the morning. I thought college was going to be different than this.

But I'm happy. Meeting new people from different countries and different towns, learning new information I never knew before. Its hard but its worth it in the end. And that's all that matters.

Its been 3 months since I called Austin on New Years. I haven't been calling him but he's been calling me. He's been texting me but I only text a word or two back.

I know he wants a full on conversation with me but I just can't. If I do, I'll be distracted and won't get anything done. The last text he sent me was "are you okay?" and I didn't text back.

His voicemails all sounds the same. A tone of sadness but a hint of hope. As for Alex and the others, they don't call or text me anymore. After my no show on New Years, they stopped talking to me. But then there's Austin.

He still has hope in me and I'm thankful.

Austin's POV

"Happy Birthday Mrs.Johnson." I say as I hand over her a birthday present. I framed a picture of Kate and wrapped in up knowing that Kate's important to her. Although im not good with presents, i know she'll love.

"For the billionth time Austin, its Mary." She gave me a hug and remembered how many times she told me to call her Mary. But it seems ungentleman like of me.

"Happy birthday !" Becky screams with her high pitched voice and hugs Mrs.Johnson. Alex and the boys sitting on the couch eating the three layer of chocolate cake.

Kate's family members from New Years gather around the house as so do we. Since we don't have nothing better to do, we came here. We also came here because we believe Kate would finally show up.

Jerry, Kate's dad, talking to relatives and bragging about their new grill. I sat beside Alex and watch him eat the chocolate covered cake.

"She's not here again ..." He mumbles while poking the cake with his fork. Rob, and Zach's eyes look over at me and I lightly smile. Knowing that they're tired of her not showing up.

"You don't know that .." I say patting Alex's shoulder. His face filled with sadness as if he's hurting and I get it. Alex has known Kate for so long and her leaving is hard for him and for all of us.

"Look. She's in college. She's gotta be studying or something ..." I defend her while they chuckle sarcastically.

"Studying for 6 months?" Alex scuffs while getting up to throw his paper plate out. I watch him move throw the crowd and watch him disappear within them.