18 | Intuition

━━━─── • ───━━━

Chase •

As he laid down in his bed and waited patiently for Luna to return from going out with Sarah and her sister, Chase's mind was busy. Vikram was taking a nap in their guest bedroom, and all he could focus on was what had been going on with his fiancée lately.

The cute little smiles she once showed to him only appeared when she sat thinking. The way she used to hug him wasn't as strong as it once was. To him, she was becoming a different Luna, and he'd catch her standing alone, mumbling to herself. Other times, it seemed like she was imagining someone was around her and spoke to them as if they were a real person.

Her attitude had changed long before they'd gotten engaged. And Chase had noticed many changes within her throughout the past year. There was something different about her, and she hadn't realized he'd been onto her for a while.

He knew something was going on when he heard her talking to herself in the kitchen after dancing. When he came around the corner, he heard her speak about traveling around the world.

Was she thinking of leaving me?

Chase shook his head. There was no way she'd up and decide to leave him. They loved and trusted each other. But leaving him . . . to fly to Paris? When he looked in on her, she seemed to tell the air something about money. He stopped her before she could finish her sentence and couldn't handle her talking to herself any longer.

The last time she spoke to someone who wasn't there was the time she saw Sam. Sam was there to hold her hand at church when their family attended it with his parents. Sam was there to cook meals with her and play games with Sarah. Sam had been dead for a year before she had started imagining him.

Luna had a hard time after his death, and Chase understood that when they'd spoken about it. He understood Sam had died on his daughter's birthday and knew Sarah had also missed him.

He didn't care to allow that to affect how he wanted to be a father to Sarah. He loved her like she was his daughter. He wanted them to officially become a family one day and live life happily.

Before either of them can proceed with wedding plans, Chase needed to find out what is going on with Luna. Was she really seeing someone who was not there physically?

Shifting his gaze toward the time, he hopped up and threw on his shoes. After tightening his shoelaces, he heard a masculine throat being cleared and spun around to see Vikram was up from his afternoon nap.

"Hey, brother."

"Hey, Vik," Chase replied. "Feel better?"

"Not much. I kept hearing noises outside. What are you about to do?"

"I was about to prepare some sandwiches."

Vikram stepped in through the doorway and stood beside the bed next to Chase. "That sounds good. I'm sure the ladies will be hungry when they return."

"They've been gone for a few hours now. Do you want to play a video game while we wait?"

Vikram nodded as Chase picked up his phone and asked Luna where they were. She replied they were at the ballroom and will be making it home in a couple of hours. After setting up the game system, the guys played a few sports games in the living room.

In the middle of a soccer game, when Chase was five points ahead, Vikram stopped playing and turned his way. "I was thinking about something."

"Yeah?"