{Book Two} 101 | Salvation II

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 31

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Luna stared and couldn't move. She was shocked — completely shocked — that she was in the presence of a man she'd never known existed. Connor was Chase's twin, and of all the years she had spent with The Marquette family, they'd never told her about having a set of twin boys.

Amir stood by her side, running a hand lightly along her spine. It made her feel better, however, her nerves were still clenched.

How could I have almost married a man who had more secrets than the CIA?

Connor took Zoe's hand and stepped forward, revealing his white tee-shirt and black jeans. "Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Khan."

"Ahem . . . hi," Luna replied as Ethan moved his frame behind them. She groaned. He knew. Ethan knew that Chase had a twin because he worked with him, and the sergeant had never said anything.

Turning her neck, she fumed, "I should've known you were hiding more crap, Sergeant Trent."

"It's okay, Mrs. Khan," Connor said. "He's my implant."

"Your . . . your implant?"

He nodded. "Ethan kept tabs on the organization for me. Ever since my falling out with my brother—which you already know who he is by now—we needed eyes on their activity."

"So, you knew that Chase and the others continued doing what they're doing?"

Zoe's eyes bounced to Luna's. "It wasn't like that. We wanted to do something for a while, actually, but if we had, we wouldn't have this sanctuary of sorts. We're able to provide safety and shelter to Tethered Souls who need it."

Luna shook her head. "People are being tortured, and Chase is their leader."

Her pulse was all over the place, and she glanced at Amir, watching a muscle pop in his jaw as she stood by. Bringing her gaze back to Ethan, he pressed his lips into a thin line and continued to hold his lantern.

"How could Chase keep quiet all this time?" She sucked in a deep breath and exhaled, her lips trembling. "He and I were almost married, and I have never known he has a twin."

Zoe narrowed her eyes. "It's best to talk about this another time. It's late."

"I know that," Luna said, inching closer, "but this is difficult to get my head around. He . . ." She paused, shifting her eyes to Connor. "You're him. Chase. That's all I see."

Amir reached for her hand, slightly rubbing the tips of her knuckles.

"Your whole family kept this from me," she whispered, gulping. "And you . . . Ethan." She shifted her stare to him. "You must've known Connor was here, right?"

"I didn't," he replied. "I only report to him. Not keep up with his whereabouts." Ethan snorted.

"Look. I know this is a lot to take in, Luna. From what I understand, both of you had a long day and probably want some rest. We could get together tomorrow and talk," Connor suggested. "I just wanted to come by and introduce myself."