22 | Rage

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Searing pain went through Luna's body as her vision went dark. She couldn't breathe, or couldn't move, and her head kept spinning, threatening to shut down. 

This moment was worse than the time Chase took advantage of her. Or when she realized what a control freak he'd always been. Tiny cells in her body crawled around like they couldn't settle, and her body felt like it was tied to a log rolling over a campfire in circles, with no way to break free.

Her tears were of anger and fury — a fiery wrath of pain so potent that she could taste the bitterness in the back of her throat. The memory of what happened in her studio hit her like a bomb blew up. She despised Chase and hated him for what he'd done. She hated how he threw her into a hospital where she'd have to pretend to be better so she could exit this place. 

She couldn't connect to Amir or sense him anymore. She just wanted to see his face and tell him she was sorry for his current dilemma. She had never realized what Chase was truly capable of.

Lying flat, she heard movement on the other side of her and forced her eyes open, blinking roughly at the blinding light. 

She sighed, realizing Chase was still around. He was like a fungus, never leaving her side.

"Great. You finally woke up."

Luna turned her face up and calmed herself. 

A shudder of fear rippled through her veins as she listened to the sound of footsteps approaching the doorway.

"Hello, Mr. Marquette," the doctor said, shaking Chase's hand. "It's good to see Luna woke up. How are you feeling?"

"I haven't seen my daughter in days. How do you think I'm feeling?"

Dr. Kim gave her a look, then said, "You'll get to have a visit with her soon, but please, answer my question."

"My body is numb," she croaked.

"It's the medication flowing in your system." Dr. Kim motioned to the nurse to stand on the other side of her bed. "I had to run some tests on you."

Tests? What tests? 

"I would like to talk to you without any problems, Ms. Carlyle. My staff will release you, but you need to promise me that you won't do anything stupid." She nodded, lowering her gaze. "Do you see the camera in the corner behind me?"

She peeked over and wanted to vomit. She'd been monitored, probably for days, and there was no telling what they'd seen. Her plans to leave now were doomed.

"I'm Nurse Julia Smith," a brunette lady said, with her hand on Luna's left wrist. "I will loosen this side for you, and your hand will be free. Then I will walk around to the other side and release your right hand. If you don't make any sudden movements, I will continue and release your ankles."

"Luna," Chase uttered. "Please listen to them and cooperate."

"Why are you still here, Chase?" Luna barked. "We're over. I'm done with you."

"No need for any disturbances this morning," Dr. Kim said, glancing between both of them.

"Oh. It's morning. What day is it?" Luna asked, shifting her eyes to the doctor.

"Luna," Chase murmured. "It's best if you concentrate on getting better than worry about what day it is."

"It's Wednesday. The fifth," a voice said in the back of the room.