{Book Two} 122.2 | Infiltration II

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 52.2
(Original Ending)

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna gasped as she noticed a familiar face in front of them. 

Dr. Kim, the sadistic psychiatrist who tortured her and Cami, stood lean and scrawny. They were shocked. Owen halted. As he waited, Cami scowled and the rest sneered.

The tiny hairs on her arms began to rise.

"Crap," Amir said.

Dr. Kim smiled. "Thought you could get away just like that?"

Luna's gut twisted when a soldier appeared.

Sam.

Her ex-boyfriend and daughter's father stood beside the doctor.

The sight of him startled her. He looked the same. Eighteen. Blond. Medium-height. Sparkling blue eyes. It was as if he hadn't aged a day in seven years.

"Sam?" Luna squeaked as she scanned his hunter-green clothing. When she looked at Amir, his eyes were wet.

Dr. Kim laughed. "I assume you know . . . him?"

She snarled, "Shut the hell up! You know—"

Sam raised an arm, and everything happened quickly. His metal cuff reflected light. Nearly the same stone that she wore around her neck had glittered. When he opened his hand, it felt like a hurricane. When she was lifted off her feet, her body was propelled backward through the air. Her hip hit the nearest metal door handle. Pain knocked her air out as she landed.

Oh, God . . . Sam was . . . He was an unstable Trojan.

Her mind raced to keep up. Tanzanite enhanced his abilities. If he hadn't shocked them, he might not have gotten her. Like Lily. He was unexpected.

Amir and Owen picked themselves up several feet down the hall. Ethan held Jamal against the wall. Vikram surrounded Maryam, shielding her. Others hid around a corner.

Luna rose, wincing. Her leg buckled while standing. Ethan saved her from falling again.

Sam entered the room with a smile on his face.

Connor staggered up. "Oh, you are so dead."

"Is that so?" Sam said.

Amir was standing next to Connor, so Luna yelled his name as Sam unleashed an energy burst. They barely escaped direct hits.

Connor's pupils were whitened. He flinched. Energy, a whitish-yellow glow, ricocheted. Ducking, Sam laughed.

He ridiculed, "You're going to exhaust yourself."

"So will you."

Sam winked at Amir as he faced the group and extended his hand again. Jamal, Luna, and Ethan retreated. Ethan grabbed her as she began to fall. Somehow, his arm wound up around her neck. After a tug, Amir pushed her behind him.

"He's compromised," Ethan murmured, backing away from Sam. "We need to hurry."

"You don't say," Amir spat.

Sam laughed and threw Amir back. He looked like an assassin on steroids. Another blast of energy aimed at Ethan, then Owen. They both dive-bombed the floor to avoid getting hit. Sam laughed and continued. Luna raised her head, and their gazes locked. His were completely devoid of human emotion. Unreal. Demonic.