{Book Three} 174 | Showdown

.

Happy Birthday to Amir and Luna. I am updating this chapter on July 7th, and it is the main event. Amir versus Enemies. Go get 'em, A. Everyone believes in you.

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 48

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

The dead bodies of agents who were guarding one of BARDA's facilities lay at Amir's feet less than half a football field away. He felt like he was crushing bugs between his fingers but without the slimy shine.

Mr. Cooperative was not among them. He brought Amir with him. So Amir let him go, and as expected, the man ran away.

Amir's senses were full of pure energy like he was on the best opiate high ever. Because he was taking on the powers of so many Defectives, anyone who crossed his path would be in big trouble. The energy pulsed and affected the cells in his body.

Weirdly, Defectives were like superhuman Doritos. After killing one, it went to another level. No one would be able to relax around Amir until he was done.

No one, not even Luna.

But she was inside, and he had no idea what was happening to her. He knew she was still alive because he could feel her. Amir told himself he couldn't think of anything else.

He walked across the empty parking lot and watched a swarm of Hybrids and Defectives on the first and second floors and the roof.

He stopped at the edge of the building and looked up at the top. When he noticed a ladder around the side, he grabbed the rails and quickly crawled up. Once on the edge, he kneeled.

In the center, three Defectives stood.

Their heads snapped around like animals at him.

One of them said, "Amir Khan."

Cool. They already knew who he was, so no introductions were necessary. It's not like he'd greet them anyway.

As Amir stretched out from the ledge, he could feel the borrowed energy vibrating through his body. The night surrounding them thickened. He didn't give anyone a chance to fight back or get away. He was on them in a flash, sliding behind the first guard and slamming his hand into the man's chest.

He used his other arm to pierce the second guard.

Amir turned and threw the first guard onto the fourth. They tumbled like a row of dominoes, and he squashed the second man like an apple.

He smiled and thought, "Yummy."

The other two men turned into toy soldiers while they were standing.

Amir laughed, and the sound spread quickly. "You should have dismissed me."

He looked at the two Defectives and took a deep breath, drawing them closer to him. They floated over the roof and waved their long arms like buoys.

Nothing was holding them back or stopping them. Amir drove his hands right into each of their hearts.

It was over for them in an instant.

Amir hurried to the fire exit, leaving their bodies on the roof. He yanked the steel door open with so much force that it almost came off its hinges.

He climbed the stairs quietly while drawing the darkness toward him.

On the lower floor, a Hybrid was waiting, and at least a dozen freakshows were walking around. He looked for Luna, but even though he knew she was nearby, he couldn't see her. He could sense her presence but couldn't communicate with her.