{Book Three} 175 | Future

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 49

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna winced as she lay in bed late Sunday afternoon, remembering telling Liberty she was too exhausted to explain what happened once she and Amir returned. She didn't want to talk because her sister would ask many questions.

She wasn't furious at Liberty but wasn't ready to talk.

Luna didn't remember coming home the night before. Amir brought her back into the house, where she saw guests and actual officers who cared about the research facility Chase had brought her to. Her husband healed Chase's damage before vacating. Vikram sat behind Liberty. When she looked at Titus, Luna thought she saw Faisal with a quiet, pale Cami, but she couldn't be sure. Medication was pumping through her veins.

She recounted Amir was next to her when she woke up in the middle of the night, holding her hand. Or maybe she held his hand. No idea.

After he told Greer about the incident, she thought Sarah had come home with everyone else, but she wasn't certain.

Luna received experimental sedatives from Chase in Houma, Louisiana. That upset her.

Her small home prevented her from knowing where everyone slept. When she woke five minutes ago, Amir wasn't in the bedroom.

After his fight with Chase and Sam, Luna worried about his health. Her husband was strong—perhaps the strongest she had seen—but being around deadly superhumans must have affected him.

They could've killed him.

They nearly murdered her.

And he defeated their enemies. They were no match for him.

Luna's exhaustion from waking up was fading, but she still had aching spots from turning too quickly. But she felt okay. She didn't understand after recovering. Amir said most superhumans felt well after getting better.

It made her question Chase's serum. If the liquid enhanced her mood and saved her from the poison in her body after being severely injured during the night.

Because of this, Luna had so many questions.

She looked at her locked bedroom door and wondered what everyone was doing. Except for Cami and Liberty's morning check-in, they gave her space. She saw her house's windows boarded up and assumed someone was repairing them. Every room needed work. She didn't care, but this was everyone's temporary shelter.

A light tap came from the door. She immediately recognized who was checking on her.

Amir knocked—why wouldn't he enter?

Standing, Luna walked to the door. She felt excitement and something deeper. She opened the door to find him smiling.

He carried a bottle of sweet tea.

She opened the door wider for him and resisted laughing at his odd behavior. "Why are you knocking at the door instead of just walking in?"

Amir shrugged. "I wanted to respect your home."

"Uh-huh." Luna ignored the knots in her stomach after closing the door. "It's also your home."

He walked to the corner chair, took off his jacket, and brought her the tea.