{Book Three} 160 | Plea

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 34

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

They certainly buried themselves six feet deep. Or deeper.

That was the worst-case scenario response.

Amir positioned Luna between Greer and himself. So what if he had to burn this room down to get her out? What happens next? This entire plan would fail, the Resistance would continue destroying cities, the world would become something he hated, and he would lose his daughter and family. Forever.

Maybe I should have just stayed quiet?

When Enzo stood at his full height—nearly eight feet—he stared at Amir as if he wanted to break every bone in his body and throw it to the wolves. "Were you expecting a different response?" He scoffed. Everyone laughed. "That anyone would support Tethered Souls? You two, who started it months ago? And even help the Lazarus ones? The darkest souls alive?" He indicated that to Greer. "You're dumb and arrogant."

Anger rocked Amir's body. Unless someone attacked, he had to stay quiet. Though terrible, the Resistance needed these guys to win this war.

"What, Mr. Khan?" Amir stiffened when Enzo walked. "No more sarcasm?"

Amir's eyes widen. "Something's coming. I need a minute."

Zander hissed.

"I want to hear more from the almighty Amir Khan. That is what everyone calls you . . . except me."

Despite Enzo's annoyance, Amir kept calm.

Gentle fingers brushed Amir's back. "Look. I didn't expect any of you to hold our hands while singing 'We Are the World,' okay?" Enzo wrinkled his brow when Amir spoke. "I didn't expect you to cheerfully welcome us in your clubhouse, either, but I did expect you to consider helping us deal with this mess."

Luna muttered, "Oh, God," while rubbing his shoulders.

"You're not going to get any support with that kind of attitude, man," Zander replied, staring at him like he was crazy.

Amir forgot Zander's brother's name, but Fluffy or Gruffy was getting an apron.

Amir exhaled. "You do realize that BARDA will take over every society, right?"

Enzo didn't care. He groaned. "You think we're concerned about the surface? Everyone we value is with us."

Amir began to question how this man became their President. "After killing and capturing everyone on the ground, they'll eradicate each underground community. They'll find you. And, as far as I know, you are all their property."

Enzo froze. "We're not theirs."

"Can you be sure?" Greer said. "Because everyone here has powers based on their experiments. You're all slaves. Just telling you how it looks."

Amir smiled. He proceeded, hoping Enzo's crew would understand logic. "They don't care about you now. They're busy. After that, they'll sneak up on you. History will repeat unless we change."

"People repeat history," growled a female Defective, her eyes glaring red at the group.

Amir replied, "Keep believing that as long as you can. They target innocent people using more advanced technology."

Fluffy—Amir believed his name was—moved forward. "We're prepared for that."

Luna glanced behind her shoulder, then swallowed at Amir. "I'd say you're waiting it out."