{Book Two} 85 | Facade

Note: So, when pronounced with an S, "facade" has a cedilla (a hook or tail) under the C

Note: So, when pronounced with an S, "facade" has a cedilla (a hook or tail) under the C. However, some devices I've used for this platform either blocked the word or spread the letters out, not connecting them. I picked this spelling to avoid limitations to that word and display it.

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 15

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Faisal went speechless, and Amir stood still, trying not to allow dark thoughts to enter his brain.

Taking Dr. Kim and the rest of them out before they can force Luna to do something equally horrendous was on the top of his hit list. But he realized he needed to think things through. Slipping a fatal concoction he developed privately into their beverages would cause them to have a rapid, painful death, but he couldn't be that malicious. He needed time to devise another plan, one that wouldn't cause him to become immoral.

He just knew from this point forward he'd have to put on a facade until he was certain he could get him and Luna to safety. And putting on an act had never been an easy feat.

It could become hard for him to deceive others, and their lives were on the line.

"I don't understand what their game plan is." Faisal stepped to the other side and brought his hands behind his head. "Why would they heal sick patients with the help of Tethered Souls if they want to eradicate the species?"

"They want to eliminate the ones who don't cooperate." Amir peered out the window, watching the front gate. Guards stood at attention, with weapons in their hands.

"They're demented. They'll use you to heal whoever they want, but hurt Luna if you refuse." Faisal took a breath and shook his head. "She can't do something so ruthless."

"I won't let it get that far, not while I'm here." Amir turned around and met Faisal's stare. "Did you know they've created lethal chemicals just for us?"

Blood drained from his face.

"There are four different substances that can cause our species to become sick, feel pain, and even die." Stepping away from the window, he turned toward his cousin and crossed his arms. "They even have pods filled with poisonous gas settled around the area. If one of them is triggered, they'll be discharged and eventually become airborne."

Their scenes switched back to where Faisal was, and the two of them gazed at Sarah as she played tag with Liberty. "We need to stock up on gas masks."