{Book Three} 138 | Aristides

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 12

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

The organization wasted no time putting Amir's incredible healing abilities to the test. They moved him to a room on the medical floor as soon as they determined he was rested. The only thing in the white-walled room was two white chairs facing each other.

Amir raised an eyebrow at Alisha. "I like what you've done with the place. It's very . . . stylish."

She ignored him. "Sit. Either chair would do."

"What if I want to stand?"

"Have it your way." She nodded and turned to face the camera, which was positioned in the corner. She then faced him. "You understand what is expected of you. We're starting with one of our newest participants. He's twenty years old and in perfect health."

"Except for the inevitable injury to him?"

Alisha narrowed her eyes and shook her head

"And this is something he requested?"

"That he did. You'd be surprised at how many people are willing to put their lives in jeopardy to have their bodies healed of any illness they have or may have."

Amir was more genuinely shocked by the level of ignorance depicted by some people. Signing up for healing with a success rate of less than one percent didn't seem wise, but what did he know?

She handed him a large cuff. "This has tanzanite in it. I'm certain you understand what it does. It will help with the healing process and keep you from becoming weak."

Amir took the tan cuff and looked at the dark stone in the center with the blue symbol. "You're simply handing me a piece of this, knowing that it's going to absorb the other chemicals and make me stronger."

She gave him a stern look. "You're also aware that we have soldiers equipped with those nefarious little weapons I mentioned. That outweighs the presence of Tanzanite."

Amir wrapped it around his upper arm and welcomed the energy rush. He glanced to see Alisha staring at him as if he were her favorite person. He had a feeling she wouldn't bring out the big guns even if he ran from floor to floor whacking people to death. Unless he did something catastrophic.

He was purely too unique to keep.

He was also irritated. When he needed to heal Moon, she could have given him the tanzanite piece. He was going to do something horrific to this woman one of these days.

The vibrant, straggly participant marched into the room and squatted on one of the chairs without fear. The kid appeared to be younger than seventeen, and while Amir tried not to feel anything, a pang of guilt rose.

Not because he intended to sabotage any of it. He would have no reason to. If he didn't successfully heal this man, the organization would eventually turn their wicked, malicious eyes on Luna. And that . . . was so not going to happen.

He was definitely living the "there needs to be a 'genuine desire' to help the candidate" mantra, but he wasn't sure if it would work properly. If it didn't, this homeboy would either die in a few days from his injury or spend the rest of his time as a dull, ordinary human.