3 | Dedicated

Assalamualaikum - Peace Be Upon You
Walaikumassalam - Peace Be Upon You, Too

Greetings that are spoken between fellow Muslims. 🙏 ☪

━━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Amir became anxious when the clock struck eight-thirty in the evening. It was time to celebrate his younger cousin, Yasmin's, thirteenth birthday. When a member of his family commemorates a birthday, everyone comes together not only to spread joy and laughter but also to catch up on what they've been up to.

Sometimes it was a pleasant gathering with his family, but other times he'd get the same speech about finding a wife and starting a family.

A wife and children had always been on his mind, but he had been focused on work. He had been nervous about how the evening would unfold since discovering his genetic heritage. He didn't want to refuse his family's help in arranging a marriage, but the inevitable discussions that followed heightened his unease.

When Amir arrived at his aunt and uncle's driveway, he parked his Audi and gradually climbed out.

After ringing the doorbell, he heard soft footsteps approaching and was greeted by his cousin, Farooq.

"Amir!" he exclaimed, drawing him into a brotherly hug. "Assalamualaikum. We're happy you came."

"Walaikumusalam," Amir replied. "I didn't think I would. Work has me busy these days," he added, carefully removing his shoes at the doorway.

Even though the others may not always do this in their homes, Amir did, because shoes tracked everything from the outside.

"Well, I'm glad. Faisal said you'd be at the laboratory for another half hour," Farooq remarked. "Since you're here, I should warn you. The ladies are ready to match you and Adnan. Your mother is going softer on your brother since he's younger. But for you, that's what she is apprehensive about."

He groaned. "Being my age, everyone is paired or married. I don't want to disappoint them."

"Amir, I understand. My mother never let up until I chose Surayya Abbasi. We've set a date for summertime next year." Amir nodded a little and sighed. "Agree to meet with one of the ladies the family arranges, and it'll be over. You can fall in love with her later."

Amir tsked loudly.

Seriously?

His cousin made it look as if he didn't care about loving someone for the right reasons. Every couple in their family line had been arranged, but he refused to accept anyone. If he couldn't picture himself in life with his potential bride, he'd have to decline their request, adding to their frustration. That burden would be unsettling for him, knowing he'd let his family down. He couldn't bear their disapproval. Their wishes meant the world to him.

No one has ever left home without first marrying, but he recently moved out after buying a home on top of a hill overlooking Pakistan's capital. That was all he could think about after Faisal revealed their lineage. He couldn't stop wondering where his partner was and who would be paired with him. He wanted a private space where he could talk and hold a conversation without being interrupted by relatives. It was expected of him to choose a wife, but he ended up changing his family's tradition, upsetting his parents' plans for his life.

Amir looked at the photographs on the wall as he walked through the foyer. He took a deep breath and remembered the day he graduated from medical school.