{Book Three} 166 | Triggered

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 40

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna's palm shot out ashy black shadows with a yellow light at Greer's shoulder. He flew and screamed as he fell into a tree. She then curved her palms up. When she pulled him closer to her, Greer jerked and wailed.

The man survived.

For now.

"Stop!" Angel hollered. "Stop it right now, Luna!"

"No."

Angel walked closer to another agent, standing across from him with his boots sunk deep into the wet soil.

She clasped her fingers tight to increase the wind while she focused on Angel. Two more people fell through the ground after it jolted and opened in seconds.

Greer wiggled near Angel, and she shot.

Angel drew near, his lips peeling back into a perfect grin. "Luna, it's Amir. I'm your husband. I need you to stop this."

She strengthened her grip, splitting a tree a few inches behind him.

As he continued, a hole started to appear along the knee of his jeans. He shook with his chin up. "I'm here. Moon, focus on me."

She wondered how Angel was standing. She didn't know how he was there or why his voice was covering the man pleading with him to take her down.

Angel's front shirt was torn. His pupils were white and his chin had dark crimson bloodstains.

Voices shouted in her head, causing anger. Angel's shirt nearly ripped apart when he swerved back. He gave in. He was recognizable from his bent shoulders, white eyes, and taut mouth. He dominated.

And he was practically a god.

A god was beyond her. She stopped.

Angel coiled. "Stop," he winced. His neck was strained. "Please stop."

Luna smirked. "You're. A. Threat."

"No!" Angel barely held himself up as the veins under his skin turned white after he pounded a hand into the surface. His forearm then drilled into the loose dirt while he kneeled forward.

"Luna Khan!" He cried.

She panicked and backed off. Her focus faded. Energy flickered.

Luna Khan.

That was Sarah's mother and Angel's wife.

The images of multicolored butterflies floated in her mind.

Images of her watching them with her daughter one afternoon in a forest.

For a long time, they had been dealing with a corrupted organization, and she . . .

Realization dawned on her.

This angel of a man was her husband.

Pinching his lips, Amir raised his head again. "It will be all right. I've got you."

Luna shook. That was familiar to her. He'd told her that. A promise . . .

"I'm here," he whispered.

She shivered again. His promises. She saw beautiful pearls turning dark brown in his eyes. She stared at him. Her heart surged. Chestnut eyes. She understood. Dreamed of them. Had missed them. Shed tears for them. Believed in them.