49 | Expedition

━━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Amir hoped Luna wasn't feeling uncomfortable. He should have made sure the condoms were tucked away. They were in his pants and must've fallen out. He wasn't planning on anything happening between them, but he thought it would be stupid if they got to that point and he wasn't packing anything. 

He hoped she didn't think he expected something from her because he didn't. She always knew he'd never been with a woman, but that didn't stop them from becoming who they were. They were connected for a reason.

He held her waist as they left in the warm July afternoon sun. The smell was fresh and the streets were busy. He knew it would be scorching later. This time of year was sweltering in the south.

Sergeant Decker walked by, his eyes staring down at what Amir was holding in his hand. "Nice package."

"Go away," he replied.

Amir saw the guys' vehicle when they rounded the motel corner. "Whose Hummer?"

Once Faisal changed shirts, the men opened the doors. "It's a rental. It suits us, right?"

Luna smiled and nodded while inspecting it. "Did you bring this car from the safe house?"

Sergeant Decker chuckled. "No. We rode to a local Enterprise and rented it under a different name. For safety reasons."

Yeah, Amir had a feeling Sergeant Decker's renting was the same way they rented the truck at the hospital. Liberty and Vikram's vehicles were tracked. That made him realize they were riding in a stolen Hummer.

Amir went around the back door and opened it for Luna. "Need help climbing this?"

She shot him a naughty look and winked. "I'm good. I have no problem with . . . climbing."

He smiled as she lifted herself with the handlebar. Being courteous and friendly, he helped her adjust inside.

Reaching around to help her with her seatbelt, Luna shook her head, giggling. "I can buckle up."

"Just making sure you'll be safe. I want my woman secure."

Amir kissed her temple, relieved she wasn't in pain. She hugged him, holding Aluna and Ibrahim. "I'll take this car if you don't," he said Sergeant Decker.

He laughed from the driver's seat. "Hell no. This is a good one. A gas guzzler, but I may keep this one. Change all the tags and put it in my alias."

"Sit back and relax, folks," Vikram murmured from the passenger seat. "You may want to wear your sunglasses. Today is bright, but we'll travel through rural areas. There isn't much to look at."

"That's all right." Amir had his girl beside him.

After readjusting his legs, Amir gazed at the front seat and then at his cousin. He tapped his fingers on the window frame with his arm propped up, staring out. He then wondered if he should trust Sergeant Decker. Chase followed Luna and Sarah. Has the sergeant changed? The sergeant could direct them to the place Cami was scheduled to be sent to before she escaped.

Colin drove them into a busy highway. Amir's fears lingered. Later, he planned to call home and cancel anything in his name, then arrange his property. Farooq would help him with anything, and he and Luna were hiding from hunters. He never knew there was such a thing. This expedition worried him.

Faisal turned his eyes to Amir, speaking to him telepathically. 'I think we can trust Colin. He and Vikram are best friends, and we trust Vikram.'