{Book Two} 126 | Stay

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 56
(Extended Ending)

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Amir entered the room with his head bowed and eyes the color of brilliant golden orbs. Even in her state, Luna could sense the strength radiating from him. Not a supernatural ability, but one born of desperation and suffering.

He glared at John and swiftly disregarded him, hurling him into the wall like a remote control. Amir's eyes landed on hers and stayed. A wide range of emotions flashed across his face. She wanted to say something, but her body yearned to get closer to him. It was an unconscious action that brought the chemicals on the cuffs into closer contact with her skin. Her mouth opened in a quiet cry she trembled on the floor of the cage.

Amir charged ahead. He wasn't moving as quickly as he usually did. He grabbed the bars and growled as he yanked back. "What is this?" His attention shifted to his hands, then back to her. The sparkle in his eyes was shattered by pain.

"Phycyne with rubies and Hellion," John said. "A pleasant mix that does not sit well with superhumans."

Amir centered his eyes on him. "I'll destroy you."

"I don't believe you will." The general had moved back, signaling that he was not secure in his plans. "Chemnisol has been applied at every entry to this building. I can set them off if you use any power. I also have the key to Luna's confinement, as well as the handcuffs. And only I have access to any of it."

Amir let out a harsh growl. "Maybe not right now, but I will destroy you. Your life will be meaningless once I'm done with you."

"And you can bet I'll be prepared for that day." With an eyebrow cocked, John looked at her. "She's been in there for a long time. Maybe four hours. You understand what I mean. Should we proceed?"

Ignoring him, Amir squatted on the opposite side of the bars. Luna turned her head toward him, and his gaze was drawn to every inch of her. "Moon, I'm going to get you out of there. I promise you."

"As sweet as your declaration is, the only way you'll get her out of there is to do as I say, and we only have a limited amount of time . . ." He looked at his phone. "About fifteen minutes before the next round of soldiers arrive, and while I intend to release you both, they will not."

Amir raised his head, his jaw tightening. "What exactly do you want?"

"I need you to heal me."

He looked at John for a minute, then coldly laughed. "Are you nuts?"

The man's eyes narrowed. "I don't have to explain anything to you. She can fill you in. I want you to fix me. It shouldn't be difficult because you fixed her." He reached across the cage, his fingers curling around the bundle of chains. "I want to be healthy without the radiation and medication."

"I can't just dip my hands in Holy water and expect things to happen."

"I know how it works." He scowled. "I have to be injured. You must heal me, and I will take care of the rest."