38 | Reflection

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

"Hello," Luna said, gazing at Amir as she held her newborn baby in a hotel lobby in Islamabad.

"Assalamualaikum," he greeted. 

Her cheeks flushed. "I'm sorry. I don't know what you just said. I can't speak the language here."

He laughed lightly, unable to take his eyes off her. "I was just saying a greeting our people say to each other in Pakistan. It means peace be upon you."

Luna pushed back for a moment, wondering what she is seeing in Amir's head.

Moving forward, she kissed him again.

"Oh. That's nice. Thanks, I guess?" She chuckled and glanced around her surroundings.

"What is her name?" he asked her, marveling at the baby. 

"Sarah Marie Davidson. Or maybe Carlyle. I haven't decided yet." Luna graced Sarah's cheeks with her fingertips. "Her father was Samuel Davidson. He passed away here recently."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that."

"Amir?" she mumbled, in the middle of their first kiss.

"Yeah?"

"Are you seeing that?"

He nodded. "What do you think it is?"

Luna's eyes welled up as she shook her head. "I think it's a lost memory of ours. Maybe a reflection?"

"I think I would've remembered meeting you and Sarah when she was a newborn."

She pushed back and stared at Amir, her eyes filled with tears. "Not if I was drugged by a controlling maniac and the memory somehow filtered away from my mind, slowly erasing your memory too."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" he asked, and Luna nodded. "Chase made you forget you met me when Sarah was a baby?"

"It was the drugs he gave me all those years. He . . . he erased the memory of my trip to Pakistan. And now I'm remembering it with you."

"I don't understand. Luna, how could our memories get altered like that?" he choked.

She shrugged, quivering in his arms. "Our souls are connected, Amir. They always were."

Amir's lips trembled as Luna's heart pounced. She met him before she met Chase and their pairing had now become stronger. There was a reason she felt connected to him the second they'd met in her studio. All she wanted to do was move in closer and reflect on their first real meeting . . . together.

"Was he, by chance, an American who was visiting the country?" 

Luna blinked, wondering why this stranger was asking about her daughter's father. 

But she still nodded back, a few tears slipping from her eyes. "He was diagnosed with Glioblastoma, and he had hope when a scientist here said they could check him out."

She was so heartbroken over this, and it was difficult for her to talk about it.