14 | déjà vu

⚠ Sensitive themes are discussed in this chapter. It's not too disturbing, but the scene is part of the plot. ⚠

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

"Assalamualaikum," Luna said, learning how to greet someone in his language. "Did I say it correctly?"

"You did. It is a difficult word to say correctly."

"I'm sure it's hard to pronounce for some people, especially for us who don't say it a lot. When you live in New Orleans, where cultures of different societies come together, it's always good to learn what you can about them."

Amir smiled as he took a sip of his grape juice. It was late in the evening as they sat on his couch.

"What does one say after the first greeting?"

"After saying, Assalamualaikum," we finish with "Walaikumassalam."

"Peace be with you, and peace be with you, too," she whispered.

"It's not customary to say any greeting, but it makes a person feel better about greeting each other when we pass by one another."

Bringing her spoon up, she took a small bite of her Chocolate Rice Krispies. "Teach me more. I enjoy learning a new language."

After going over the alphabet and numerology in Urdu, Amir and Luna moved on to him translating different texts from The Qur'an. She was very intrigued to learn more about what it said and to understand the teachings inside it. She had once read The Bible, The Book of Mormon, and The Torah when she once studied a religious course one semester at Tulane University, but she had always found herself captivated by two faiths -- Buddhism and Islam.

Luna adored how both faiths sat on a mat and meditated, or prayed. They had similar styles in practice, but they also differed in beliefs. She prayed alongside her parents and grandparents growing up as they were Christians. However, something had always drawn her to stay spiritual and never commit to one faith.

Glancing back at Amir, he turned a page and she hopped to her feet. When she came close to a room at the end of his hallway, she noticed the door was opened, and she peeked inside.

Her eyes traveled around the medium-sized bedroom as she gazed at a mat on the floor facing counter-clockwise and surveyed the calligraphy written on the wall. Only a small flat-screen TV hung above a dresser, with two end tables and lamps, sat on either side of the bed.

"Is this your bedroom?"

"There's not a lot in it, as you can see. I have another room I put all my books and movies in. I keep my room minimal," he said, standing next to her.

"My grandfather, my mother's father, was a Christian before he passed away. He was the same way in his house and had minimal things in his bedroom. He once turned the back area of it into a small Chapel, so my family could hear short sermons from him every morning. He believed in praising God every day."

"It's good to be in tune with one's faith. I love it when I can devote time to speak to Allah."

"I keep - I keep thinking I've been in your house before. Like, I'm having a memory. A déjà vu moment."

His lips turned up into a sweet smile. "Maybe it's because we are connected."

"No, Amir. I've been thinking about this for a long time, but I've been inside your hallway."

"You haven't been in my house. It's a feeling you have because we share a connection."

"Wait . . . I have walked through here. I can't remember when."