{Book Two} 100 | Salvation I

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 30

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Sitting quietly, Luna didn't know what to make of Ethan's reunion with his sister-in-law. She was flabbergasted with the thought of almost not bringing him, and it was Amir's suggestion to take him along on their trip, despite the fact it was for personal reasons.

If she'd left Ethan in Dr. Kim's home, none of them would've known who Dominique Hale was to him. She may have had a rocky approach when the ambulance pulled up, but Luna figured this new community was doing it for extra precaution. They obviously knew about the compounds around the globe, so maybe that was why they had a set of questions each time a newcomer came to the gate.

It reminded her of Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead. He had three questions everyone must answer before they were accepted into his group, and maybe these people had their style as well. Which she didn't mind. She understood some people couldn't be trusted and their guard had to be up.

As Dominique knocked her head back, Luna's heart leaped into her throat. Only one soldier had stepped through the gate and stood at attention.

Staring at Ethan, Dominique said, "What are you doing here?"

"Don't tell me you aren't happy to see me?" was his reply.

She scoffed. "Boy, you have some nerve coming around me. After all you have done to my family."

Shifting closer to the window, he said, "You don't have to worry about Kai and Jamal. I have a plan to get them out."

Cocking a rifle at him, she aimed it at his head. "I don't give a damn what you've got. I've suffered enough because of you. Now, get the hell on out of here."

Whoa! Luna's eyes widened.

"I can see that you're still pissed at me," Ethan muttered, and then pushed back. "Could you please put the gun down?"

"I ain't gotta do shit! My brothers are in hell. You put them to sleep and turned them over. I've done told you to get your trader ass out of here. Now!"

Luna gulped. Their short reunion was not going so well. She glanced at Amir, sweat dripping from his forehead and landing on his jawline.

Turning her gaze back to Dominique, she murmured, "Miss, we've just escaped an ambush at Dr. Kim's, and we were told by Lily —"

"You were told wrong," Dominique interrupted. "Lily shouldn't have sent you here. Especially with him." She glared at Ethan when she said that last word.

"But she did," Amir said, catching her stare. "There has to be a reason."

"Dom, listen." Ethan paused, and her eyes shifted to him. "We're not trying to do anything. I promise."

"I don't care about whatever bullshit comes from your mouth. All you do is use people and lie. You used Jamal for four years and decided it was okay to hand him over to Chase Marquette." Dominique's eyes darkened. "You handed my brothers to him like they were nothing to you. Get out of here before I blow out the tires."