{Book Three} 157 | Activated

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 31

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

When Luna stared at Julia, her entire body froze. She was so startled that she couldn't move. She had the strangest thought as the door closed and locked behind her.

Julia Smith seemed stable like she wasn't trying to hurt her.

Blonde hair pulled back in a high bun. Ruby lips. Her white shirt had cap sleeves that flapped. Her pale gray stare that latched on Luna's appeared genuine.

Had Julia been following them?

"Hello, Luna."

Luna just stared at the nurse, her eyes locked on the syringe.

"Were you coming to wash your face or hands?" Nurse Smith asked.

Small tingles rose along Luna's neck. "Was that even an option?"

"Of course." Nurse Smith took a step to the side, near the other bedroom door. "It is always preferable to maintain good hygiene. You never know what you're going to catch."

Luna watched her as she walked to the sink and set her bag on the counter, wondering what the nurse was up to. The corner window was too narrow for climbing.

If she ran, she'd be screwed. Nurse Smith was quick.

"I'm going to assume you're surprised I found you. All three of you."

Luna shivered and turned on the water after seeing her reflection. "You're following us."

Nurse snorted. "You catch on quick."

Luna was trying to control her thoughts, which were going a thousand miles per second. She had a knife and the energy to incinerate the woman into a million fragments. She chose the knife because she needed to figure out how Nurse Smith was following them and why she was in the house at four in the morning.

"I didn't graduate high school at seventeen for nothing," she replied. "I think ahead."

"That's something I've always admired about you, Luna." Nurse Smith exhaled. "You use your brains and skills. Unlike your husband, you're careful."

Luna became furious when she washed her hands in warm water. Nobody talked about Amir and then lived the next minute. She glanced at the door.

"Nobody's coming. Greer nor Amir. They're . . . busy."

"What did you do?"

Luna's quiet tone made Nurse Smith giggle. "We'll discuss that later. I have a question you should answer honestly."

When she turned, Luna groaned. "Ask."

"Eric is the only reason you three found this house. Someone connected to his thoughts. I'd like to know where he is since he's not here."

Luna sighed quietly.

"I can't even sense him."

Her heart skipped a beat.