{Book Two} 108 | Intel

∞ The Tethered Ones 

Chapter 38

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Escape? What a lovely and fitting name for this club, Luna thought.

"It is, Moon," Amir whispered into her ear.

Ethan glanced over his shoulder and said, "I think the bouncer wants you, Amir."

He growled, "You have one more chance, Evil."

"I'm so scared," Ethan replied.

"Guys!" Luna yelled. "Let's go!"

Ethan laughed softly and took a step forward.

She walked along a short hallway with multicolored lights. It was unlike other clubs. The dark hallway included many locked doors and no exits. A strong alcohol smell and an odd aroma of sweat, cologne, and other substances filled the air.

An opened threshold exposed the dance floor.

Purple, green, and yellow lights dazzled the crowd while bare flesh glittered. A black-haired girl spun and danced gracefully above a high dance stage. Balcony cages held dancers with glitter and beads, and Luna looked at the skin showing between her shirt and hips. She could have gone wilder.

While lightly touching her back, Amir spoke to her. "A little out of your comfort zone, Moon?"

She smiled. "Me? What about you?"

He shrugged and returned his attention to the dance floor.

Strangely, Amir stood out. He was a head taller and moved differently from the other men. "I don't mind being here. We came for one reason. Intel."

The techno beat slowed as they followed Ethan around the back, and a new one with hammering drums started.

She couldn't determine who was who in a narrow hallway full of people. A man looked up from the neck he explored with smokey eyes and met Luna.

He smiled.

She turned away.

Before she realized what was happening, they reached a door marked Personnel Only with Monsters scribbled across it. Nice.

The door cracked open before Ethan could bang his fist on it. She glanced back and saw Smokey Eyes watching. Gross!

"We're here for Titus," Ethan said.

Ethan's spine tensed up, so whatever the voice from behind the door muttered didn't sound good. "Tell him it's Sergeant Trent." Then there was a pause as the back of Ethan's neck turned red. "I don't care how busy he is. He owes me."

"Perfect!" Amir murmured, tensing and exhaling. "We came here for nothing."

Ethan spun. "No, we didn't."

Another incoherent response widened the door further. "Dammit, Titus," Ethan hissed. "I helped Nadia escape St. Matthew's. Trust us. No rats here."

Rats?

Ethan looked at them, frowning. "Titus wants to talk to me alone."

Amir towered. "Yeah, I don't think so."

Ethan refused. "Then you can forget this whole thing. Or you've wasted your time. Your choice, Prince."

Luna knew Amir would punch Ethan's smart tongue. He had no right to use her pet name, but that didn't matter anymore. She hadn't endured a hellish car ride and dressed like a harlot for nothing. She caressed his chest. "Let's go." Amir turned slightly, his eyes gleaming, as she yanked his hand. "I want to dance."