{Book Two} 124.1 | Abducted I

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 54.1
(Extended Ending)

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

Amir hated hospital drink machines. But Luna wanted a water bottle. She favored Dasani to the staff's beverages. He struggled to leave her and not protect her, but his wife's needs came first.

He was beside her family in the cafeteria. He couldn't think of anything else but to make sure his wife was safe. Losing her after her near-death experience would have been devastating.

He hated that she withheld the organization's poisoning from him, but he understood it. She expected him to search for a cure. He was confident that he could work on some formulas and come up with an antidote. To begin, he needed to know her dosage.

His veins tingled.

His spidey sense tingled, and when he turned around, Luna wasn't next to him.

His stomach churned once again.

He rushed into Luna's room, only to find it empty. He closed his eyes to connect with her but failed. Concerns emerged.

Where are you?

He ran to Vikram after seeing the family in the hallway. "Hey."

"Hey, Amir. Why are you out of breath?" Liberty held Sarah's hand and asked.

"Have you seen Luna?"

"She's not in her room?" Vikram asked, and Amir shook his head. "Okay. Don't panic. Maybe she'd been evaluated."

Amir nodded. "If that was the case, I'd sense her. Or connect with her."

Inhaling, Vikram closed his eyes. "I can't feel her anymore."

The five of them searched the room for her whereabouts.

"There was a nurse and an orderly who walked by with a wheelchair earlier," Amir paced the wall. "I didn't see them stop here. I kept my eyes on them."

"They might have taken her somewhere," Elizabeth remarked.

"Is Mommy on her way home?" Sarah's faint voice broke the silence, and her lower lip quivered. "I want Mommy."

Sarah cried. She missed her mother terribly.

Amir and Liberty crouched and held her hand. "We know, baby girl," he whispered. "We're looking for Mommy right now."

Vikram had his eyes closed when Amir turned to look up. "I don't have anything. I can't seem to connect with her."

He stood and kicked the wall, grumbling. "She's gone. They took her when I was at the drink machine."

Vikram approached with his hands on his shoulders. "Bro, relax. I'm sure she's going to the bathroom."

Liberty answered, "Yeah, I'll check out the lobby," but Amir stopped her at the door.

"This room has a bathroom."

She frowned. "Why don't we split up and go through the hallways?"

"And I'll stay here with Sarah in case she comes back," Elizabeth added.

He lowered his waist to meet Sarah's gaze. "Sweetheart, Papa must go. When I find Mommy, hopefully, she'll be able to leave here."

She hugged him and grinned. "I love you, Papa."