58 | United II

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

"Where are my earrings?" Luna said, looking around in her jewelry box. She wanted to wear her Eiffel Tower ones since she and Amir dreamed about lying in the grass in front of the magnificent structure.

"I don't know what you did with them," Liberty said. "I remember I put them on the dresser yesterday. I don't know what happened."

"Found them!" Cami announced near the end table. She handed them to Luna.

Luna had put them in her ears after the girls came into her room last night, and they all ended up playing different bachelorette games. She had taken them off shortly before going to bed. 

As she finished getting ready for her wedding, a loud knock boomed on the door. Cassie walked over and opened it, and everyone saw Reverend McDaniels standing with the Iman. Both men gave Luna a nod as she stood in front of her long mirror while Mera fixed her up.

Sarah ran over to hug Luna's waist.

"Hello. Asslamualaikum," Luna said to the Muslim officiant. This was her first time meeting him.

"Walaikumassalam," he replied. "My name is Irfan Bhatti, of the Islamic Mosque in Baton Rouge. I am acquainted with Raul and Mera." He waved softly to Mera, and she nodded back. "I have just spoken to Amir and Reverend McDaniels, and I explained how we will conduct these ceremonies. This is the first time either of us has ever conducted an interfaith wedding."

"I understand. Thank you both for coming on short notice."

He gave her a soft smile. "I am happy to learn more about you and Amir's union and individuality. You two seem quite a pair."

"That's my Papa!" Sarah yelled out, causing everyone in the room to laugh. "What? I just want my parents to live happily ever after!"

"She is adorable," Reverend McDaniels said, gazing at the ladies.

"Thank you," Luna murmured, running her hand through Sarah's hair. Then she looked down at her and whispered, "Go sit with Aunty Lib for a bit. Okay?"

Sarah gazed up at her and then leaped into Liberty's arms.

"Luna, before we begin the Nikah, I wanted to confirm it with you first," Mr. Bhatti told her.

"Confirm what?"

"That you fully submit and accept this marriage to your own free will, that you aren't pressured or forced, and that you are genuinely getting married to Mr. Khan free willingly?"

Luna hadn't realized these kinds of questions would happen this early, but she glanced at the girls in the room and then back at the two officiants. She figured it was probably necessary to ask, so she straightened her back and nodded at both of them.

"Yes. I accept Amir Khan as my husband and my partner for life." Just saying those words made her stomach fill up with knots.

The ministers glanced at each other and nodded, then Mr. Bhatti spoke. "It is customary for me to meet with the bride and groom before the ceremony, and I will ask you again during it."

"Yes, sir. I will say qubool hai three times or ten times. However many I need to say it, so I can officially be married to the love of my life." Luna slightly burned with embarrassment and glanced down. "I mean, Amir . . . Mr. Khan."

"You can call him Amir, dear," Mr. Bhatti said, smiling. "I can see that this is a genuine match. I have spoken to both of his parents. They welcome you and your daughter. And your parents are happy as well with this marriage. I am confident to proceed and document it."