11 | Adventure

━━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

It was Friday evening in Louisiana when Amir connected to Luna.

After he spotted her, he ended up standing in the back of a crowded dance floor. While sitting in his car to meet Faisal at the lab, he wanted to see her for a moment and discuss something important.

Luna wore a jean jacket with a white top and gray stripes, and her hair was down, dancing around her shoulders. A thin woman with bright red hair had stayed close to Luna as they smiled and took a picture together. A tall brunette man wearing glasses swayed beside them and laughed as they danced rhythmically to the music.

Amir bobbed his head lightly, feeling a little out of his comfort zone, gradually joining in as he ambled in Luna's direction.

As he caught her gaze, she brought her hands up behind her neck and tied her hair into a thin ponytail. He leaned close to her ear, but then he sensed other tethered souls in the building. The others were hard to point out as the DJ played an R & B song loudly, and the base of the music boomed roughly against the walls.

The redhead slowly moved in front of her and yelled over the music.

"Great song, right?"

"Yeah, Lynette. I love Drake."

Amir smiled. "Hi, Luna."

"Hey."

"Can we go somewhere less crowded and talk?" he asked, glancing around the red and blue strobe lights beaming from the ceiling. "I can sense others like us."

Luna nodded and tried to shuffle herself out of the cramped space.

Before she could scurry away, the brunette man with the glasses grabbed her by the arm and slurred his words. "Where're you going?"

"I'm heading home. It's hot," Luna yelled, fanning herself.

"Will you be okay to drive home?"

"Yes. I've had nothing to drink."

Then the redhead rushed up and said to Luna, "Are you leaving?"

"Yeah. I'm going to call it a night," she replied.

"Okay. Do you want anyone to walk with you?" She shook her head as she glanced at the doorway. "Be safe and call me if you need anything!" her friend yelled out as Luna began walking away.

Reaching for her keys, Luna turned to Amir and asked, "What brings you by?"

"Oh, nothing. Just coming by to check on my friend," he said, coming closer to her gray Range Rover.

He figured starting slow and easing into the conversation he wanted to talk to her about would be easier at the moment.

"That's sweet. It's what . . . Saturday morning over there in P—K?"

Amir laughed, hopping into her passenger side. "I see you're using my country's initials, slowly becoming accustomed to us. I could get used to this."

"I'm sure you could," she replied. "So, what shall we do, Mr. Khan? Wanna check out haunted places with me?"

Amir made a face. "That's not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking we could go on a little adventure."