44 | Flee

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

After Sergeant Decker appeared at Luna's door, she grumbled. "Hi, Luna. I'm here to escort you to another part of the building."

She got up despite not wanting to. Amir stepped around the corner and smiled sweetly. Before asking, she closed her mouth.

She glanced at Dr. Kim and a patient walking toward an elevator.

After tapping a button she couldn't see, Sergeant Decker turned toward her. When he stopped the elevator, Amir froze. While she worried about what would happen next, her breath caught in her throat.

"Mr. Khan, you know where Camille Taylor is in the hospital, don't you? You hid her, and they haven't found her. Vikram said you're smooth." Sergeant Decker's attention was on Amir. "Cameras are off. I can't believe you two are escaping."

Luna couldn't believe Amir would break them out now. That was the reason behind his smirk.

"How do you know Vikram?" she asked.

"No time to explain. Seriously. But you can escape now." Sergeant Decker turned toward Amir. "I know. Why didn't I mention I knew Tethered Souls? I can't become a target. No, I am not one of you, but my wife is. I'm an implant. There are many of us around." He paused briefly. "Mr. Khan, your escape plan is insane."

Luna thought of the children's ward and Decker's wife's tethered partner. Are we freeing them?

"Really, guys?" Decker grumbled, placing his beret in his pocket. "Trust me. You'll need me."

"You can't be serious. I'm not sure I trust you. Either of us," Amir said.

"I don't care," Sergeant Decker murmured. Then he turned to Luna. "I need Cami's location to get you out."

Amir knew. He hid her. Clever.

"Don't say anything," Luna told Amir.

"Amir wants the kids to run wild downstairs. Distract everyone. What's next? I can set you free. You'll need help."

Luna shook her head. "I don't know. Our kind can't trust anyone."

"Would Vikram betray you?" He backed off when she shook her head. "I'll never betray him. He saved me."

Luna confronted Amir. "It's your call."

"If you think . . ." Amir stared at the man. "Before betraying us, reconsider. I'll pull your eyelashes and nails off."

"We're saving Cami, too," Luna said loudly.

"I'm fine with that. I can't worry about Joanna. She's been in her too long, and they have her sedated." Sergeant Decker turned and sniffed. "Let's get this started before midnight. That's when shifts change," he added, facing Amir when he reached down and began the elevator again.

"Where is Cami?" Luna asked.

"I took a nurse's outfit from a linen closet for her." Amir smiled deviously at Luna. "We need a plan."

"I wanted to apologize to both of you," Sergeant Decker said. "I hated seeing you both suffer. I was here on a mission."

"Don't mention it," Amir said, hugging Luna's waist. "Anything to get her out."

"But how?" she wondered.

"We need the fastest way off the top floor," he said, looking at Sergeant Decker.

"Just so you know, getting out won't be easy. World War Three will happen. Amir, your life will change. Forever. Saving a patient costs everything. To the outside, this is still a hospital," Sergeant Decker said. "We may have to shoot-to-kill. Are you sure about this? Both of you?"