{Book Three} 142 | Refuge

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 16

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

Amir didn't think the fight could get any worse. Mostly because there was a brief moment when he thought they might be able to run. But then the chopper came down, exposing the one guy he couldn't wait to pound into.

Chase looked down at them with dark eyes and a smile on his face, as if he was eager to reveal himself.

Greer swore and started to bulk up, but he intervened before he could do something that would result in more explosions and mayhem.

"It's been a while, Aluna," Chase exclaimed happily. "You both have changed."

Amir stepped forward. "Don't say that name."

"Well, if anyone wants to live," he continued, his voice clipped, "you'll get in here right now."

Amir took a deep breath, but he knew they didn't have much of a choice. They either fought and were killed by other officers headed in their direction, or they fled in the helicopter. Then what? They were back into a more dangerous situation than what they left? But one option would almost certainly involve dying now, while the other would involve dying later. Later gave them some breathing room to figure out how to get out of this newest dilemma.

Amir gave Greer a look that said, Cool It Down, and he worried the guard was going to say to hell with it, but his shoulders squared, and then he hoisted himself into the helicopter.

"We need to move!" Greer yelled, and the red-headed soldier who had joined their fight trailed behind.

The guy in his late teens rushed back and opened his mouth before boarding the helicopter. "I know you don't know me, but my name is Kian. I came on behalf of T-Virus."

Luna gulped as she held Amir's hand.

Turning to face her, he met her stare, and the wariness in her brown eyes, and the exhaustion and distress, were tinged with worry. It hurt him deeply to see that and know there was nothing he could do about it.

He bowed his head and brushed his lips against hers. "What do you think?"

"Kian said the name T-Virus. The only person I call that is—"

"Titus," he finished.

She nodded.

"Then, it will be fine."

Her brows scrunched together. "With Chase?"

Amir turned to face his enemy, then returned his attention to her. "If Titus sent both of them here to save us, and Greer has proven to be on our side, then we should go."

Luna's hands trembled in his, and they moved closer to the helicopter.

"Look who decided to show up!" Chase exclaimed, smiling. "Yay!"

When Amir glared straight into his eyes, his lip curled. "You remember what happened the last time you thought you could control us?"