{Book Three} 176 | United

Author's note: Thank you to everyone who has read my books. This is the final chapter, and it is memorable. I'll miss creating these characters and plot lines. I love you, Tethered Family. We are forever . . . united. Lily, 12 July 2023

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 50 - United

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna and Amir's Portland bedroom window overlooked the Willamette River during a storm in early July. Oregon was normally lovely this time of year. After the war and what happened between Sam and Chase five months earlier, they were at a loss as to what to do. Cassie's family relocated to Québec, while Mera's family made their home in Barcelona. Everyone stayed in touch even after many of them moved away.

Three days ago, Paradise Pizzeria reopened so their family could try the Mediterranean pizza. Many Trojans have been hospitalized, but only some will recover. Faisal and other specialists had made progress in recent months, exploring new ways to help society after BARDA's actions. His antidote united many pairs.

Luna never forgot her mother, but she sometimes wanted Tahir and Chase to come back to life so she could kill them. She had experienced PTSD at times, but after seeing Cyrus Shah, a friend of Amir's, as her new psychiatrist, she started to feel much better about everything. She'd be miserable without her husband and the people in their lives.

She swiftly glanced back.

Amir sat cross-legged on the king-size bed. His stomach had tight coils and he wore faded denim pants without a shirt. She couldn't understand how he developed the dips on either side of his hips when she didn't get out of bed until she had to.

To get cheese.

Or a camera.

Amir Khan made life more entertaining.

He winked with one brown eye, making it more desirable than most men. "Admire the view?"

Luna said nothing. Instead, she typed on her computer. Like with their loan and job applications, her heart raced when the University of Portland hired her as a photography instructor. And Amir was employed by Oregon Health & Science University Hospital as a clinical geneticist.

This was paramount.

It was epic.

They wanted Sarah to have a better life, so they moved to another state. Though Amir and Luna weren't sure if they'd stay in the Pacific Northwest, they were happy. She understood his desire to return to Pakistan. Like much of the world, they were on lockdown. Each world leader or temporary candidate vowed to keep their borders closed until their homelands were rebuilt. After everything that had happened, it was expected.

"Go ahead, Moon," Amir whispered closer than she thought. He pulled Luna's ponytail while giving her a strong kiss. "You've written it for six weeks now. Push the button."

Still tasting him, Luna bit her bottom lip.

"Do it." He touched her cheek with a sharpie from her desk. "Your book should be read by bookworms like you. They can only read it if you allow them to."

She pouted. "What if no one likes my plot?"

Amir shook his head quickly. "No way, baby. They'll love United."