10 | Impasse

━━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Adrenaline coursed through Amir's veins, as a thin layer of sweat covered the nape of his neck. At this great speed, he could barely see a few feet ahead of him. Cool air bit into his lungs, his body working diligently; his leg muscles running warm as his blood flowed smoothly inside his limbs.

He was half a mile ahead of Cyrus and Faisal, who were sprinting steadily.

"You're out of shape!" Amir remarked, glancing down at his stopwatch. "It took me ten minutes to make it to the end of the pier."

"That's because you exercise more than I do. I'm taking it easy before I drive home," Cyrus replied, coming closer to where Amir stood. "Faisal hasn't made it here yet?"

Amir shook his head, hunched over as he was catching his breath.

"I know what I'm going to do every day now, Amir."

Amir reached for his bottle of water and took a swig. "What's that, Cyrus?"

"After you woke me up at seven o'clock to go on a run, I thought I'd be tired by now. I'm usually up at that time to go over notes for my morning appointments, but I never exercise until later in the day."

"I'm glad you came out here with me. I told you getting up early to exercise could strengthen your day."

"I'll jog more often in the mornings now." Amir smiled as they turned their waist toward Faisal, who ambled while typing on his phone.

"I jog here all the time. I sure wished you lived close by. I need a new running partner. Look at him. Faisal is two blocks away!"

Both men chuckled.

"Should we wait here for him?" Amir nodded, leaning against a tree.

"What time are you heading back to Lahore?"

"Since it's after eight-ten, I'll be leaving around noon. I wanted to wash my car first and grab a quick shower if that's okay with you. I don't want to impose on you more than I have, Amir."

"Nah, brother. I don't have any plans today except to visit my parents," he explained, glancing at the bright morning sun. "My father texted me that he has something to discuss."

"Do you know what it could be?" Amir shrugged.

"I'm sure he and my mother want to talk to me about arranging a get-together with Raima Malik and her family."

"Raima . . . Raima. Where have I heard that name before?"

"She was in medical school with us, like three years behind me. Her father is Tahir Malik, an investor of mine."

"Raima! She was always quiet and kept to herself. I remember her now," Cyrus said, reminiscing about their classmate. "Why do they want you to meet with her?"

"Well, my family's tradition has always been to arrange a marriage for me. They want me to marry someone they like, and Raima isn't even married yet. My aunt Nasrin admires her and even had Mr. Malik come to my home to interrogate me. Like a criminal." Cyrus snorted and laughed, and Amir straightened up. "I'm glad my personal dilemma is funny to you."

"I'm sorry, Amir. I'm glad my family has never expected me or my siblings to marry someone they'd pick. You know how picky I am." Amir nodded in agreement. "Can you see a future with her?"

"I've never thought of Raima like that," Amir said, leaning his head against the tree. "And I can't help but ponder the possibilities of being with someone else."